Maureen Neuringer | COMD 1162 - Section OL52 | Spring 2022

01 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to two questions posted. Your response should be a minimum of 150 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

You need to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client. What application Illustrator or Photoshop would you choose?

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

1. Cassidy

1. If I were to create a logo for a client I would end up using Illustrator.
    2.The reasoning for using Illustrator would be because of the smooth and sharp image I would get using Illustar because its a predominately vector format. I’d be able to create whatever it was without compromising the image quality of the design The possibilities would be almost endless with the logo design because of the many tools that Illustrator has to offer that’s specifically designed for these types of projects. Photoshop is also an application that is picture focused rather than creating from scratch. I do not have to worry about the image quality head on because there would be no image to work with from the start unless asked. If that was the case I would use both of them. It would also be easier to edit than using photoshop if I were to send in drafts to the client because of the limited editing tools specifically for this project.

• Maureen Neuringer

Cass the most important thing to remember is that in Illustrator vector files, the image enlarges and reduces size without any details lost.

2. Keron Harris

When designing a logo that will be used in various applications for a client the application that I would use in the adobe cloud is Illustrator over photoshop. The reason why is because I am creating/designing a new design I am not changing an existing logo. Illustrator can bring the user great new features so you can create precision & control over the logo and it also allow you to enlarge the logo without losing any of the detail of your design wether it is as big as a building or the size as a business card. Versus when using photoshop “Photoshop is your go-to application for working with pixel-based images designed for print, web, and mobile apps. Powerful editing tools let you correct exposure and color balance, crop and straighten images, alter colors in your photograph, remove blemishes from a portrait, or combine multiple images into a new scene.”

3. Jonathan Rodriguez

To make a logo for a client, I would choose illustrator.

Illustrator is vector-based meaning it’s not pixel-based allowing you to have a clear and crisp design even if you zoom in. With vector, it uses paths to make whatever image you want and can make a solid straight line because it uses sequential commands to make them. This can be useful when making digital designs like logos, graphics, and illustrations. Knowing this you won’t have to worry about the quality of your work because it uses sequential commands, not pixels.

4. Kseniya

If I will need to create a logo, I would use Illustrator. Since Illustrator is a vector graphics editor, the resulting image can be changed in scale and it would not change the quality of the image.

5. Ahmani Sanders

I would use Illustrator.

I would choose this because the question asked for it to be used on various applications. Illustrator allows you to save vector files which means you can change the size of your logo without losing any quality. This is the most important factor to get the most use out of your logo.

6. Ziqi Lin

If I need to create a logo which will be used in various applications for a client, I would choose Illustrator.

I chose Illustrator because it’s a vector-based program, you would want to use vector for logos and raster for pictures. If you need to make a picture look good or make changes to pictures, you would use photoshop for that while for logos, Illustrator is better.

• Cassidy

I agree that possibly using both for the project if needed is a good choice too!

• Tyristan Murphy

I agree with you Ziqi. Illustrator would be the best option for executing the logo for a client.

7. Alex Acero

Q1: I would pick Illustrator when it comes to creating a logo because photoshop is used more for adjusting images like altering the colors, combining multiple images, cropping, and exposure

Q2: The reason why I would choose Illustrator is that when you are trying to design logos, graphs, or other design elements you need a program that uses vectors. Vectors are used to create smooth lines. Also when you zoom in or zoom out of the logo that you are creating the resolution and clarity stay the same. As well it’s easy to create shapes and effects. Also, Illustrator doesn’t use raster images it only uses vector images

• Jonathan Rodriguez

I agree, with photoshop you technically cant make a real straight line because of the pixels. Also you wouldn’t have to worry about quality lowering at all.

8. Lizbeth Vargas

Question 01 –

You need to create a logo which will be used in various applications for a client. What application Illustrator or Photoshop would you choose?

I would use Illustrator because it is easier to make shapes that can be edited if needed. Can be used to make illustrations and not just edit photos. Photoshop is more for editing and touching up on photos. But illustrator is more on creating shapes and visuals. I also found it easier to edit shapes into having lines or extensions. If I have to layer them or add a texture to a shape different from another. Photoshop will not have that ability that Illustrator has with the pen tool. Illustrator will have pen tools that photoshop does not have.

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

I would make that choice to better design a logo that never loses its quality. Using a vector program that is built to create graphic designs and sleek visuals it will help in the process of making the logo.

9. Tyristan Murphy

Question 1: I would choose to use Illustrator
    Question 2: I believe illustrator is built for vector images, and with illustrator you can export the logo to other applications without it losing any resolution.

• Bonnie yang

I agree Illustrator is the best choice for logos since it’s a vector program and the quality of the image will be unaffected if we decided to resize it.

10. Bonnie yang

1. If I need to create a logo for a client I would choose Illustrator.
    2. I made this choice because Illustrator is a vector program which means instead of individual pixels making up an image, vector program uses mathematical paths. If you resize or reshape it the vector images remain clear and sharp, while raster images come out blurry. Logos usually do need to be resized for larger design or smaller, so the quality will remain unaffected using a vector program such as illustrator. You wouldn’t want a logo to be blurry because it is one of the most important parts of a corporation. We recognize a corporation usually by its logo. Also logos usually use solid colors which is perfect for illustrator. The file size is also smaller compared to a raster image. Vectors are also better when printed and since logos are essentially everywhere printed such as a business card, brochure, etc it is the best choice.

• Keron Harris

I fully agree with you settlement I would also use Illustrator over photoshop when creating a logo because of “If you resize or reshape it the vector images remain clear and sharp, while raster images come out blurry. Logos usually do need to be resized for larger design or smaller, so the quality will remain unaffected using a vector program such as illustrator.”

11. Garry Pelzer Jr

1. The more ideal application that should be used to create a logo is Illustrator. With illustrator, you aren’t limited to a default setting that contains programed photos and font that’s the software automatically displays to the designer. The level of creativity that can be reached is unprecedented and will definitely go a long way with the great logo that is on the rise. Some pieces of an actual photo can be cut and edited into this masterpiece as well, making the project obtain two applications within one. The primary is Illustrator with the secondary unit being Photoshop is you choose to go that route.

2. With Illustrator, the logo being created has more of a chance to be an original idea with no outside influences. A new set of types faces, colors, borders, ect. come into play and will definitely help produce a greater product. With using Photoshop, that same creativity can be there but a selected photo will already be used. Ultimately reducing the creativity level because a base is already given to the designer.

12. Darcy Castro

1. If I had to choose an application to create a logo in various applications for a client, it would be Illustrator.

2. The reasoning is because Illustrator is a design program that lets you create logos and designs in crispy quality. Since it is made up of mathematical curves and not pixel-related, it gives you more control with sizing an image without worrying about the quality of the image or design you made. You can create logos by using shapes and text, or even simply drawing out your own designs and being more creative towards what the client wants. The cool part about using Illustrator is that if the client wants a picture displayed in their logo, you can use image trace to outline the shape or image they gave and even change the color. Ilustrator will always be the best choice for any designer.

• Lizbeth Vargas

I also went with Illustrator to create a logo. Photoshop is more used to edit photos and InDesign is for designing websites and books. illustrator is more for creating shapes and detailed visuals using shapes and vectors. You can also use ai. to later edit if needed without the project getting blurry.