Michael Cannetti | OL15 11310 | Summer 2021

Assignment 1

Logline: A man is becoming irritable because his drawing is not going well

Outline: A person is trying to draw something he likes, but he can’t draw the outcome that he wants based on his skill. So, he kept crumpling up the badly drawn sketch paper into paper balls, throwing them around, and becoming more irritable. The pencil nibs also started to break because he draws too hard. Then the drawing process became more and more unsuccessful. Finally, he swept everything on the table to the floor, only the mess after the anger was left behind.

Logline: A man frighted himself by misremembering the time

Outline: A person is listening to a song and enjoying the comfort of sleep. Suddenly his eyes fluttered open, and he seemed to think of something. The initially relaxed expression turned into a panic in a flash. So, he immediately looked at his phone and started checking the schedule on it. After a tense search, he found that he had misremembered the time and had not missed the deadline, and then went back to sleep with peace of mind.

Logline: A person who is unable to accomplish major goals that must be done for the day due to his procrastination/laziness

Outline: A man struggles with something he was supposed to do because he had to finish it on time in the day. But as he opens his computer, creates a new document, and is ready to start doing it, he feels he needs a drink. So, he left the computer to make a drink. And when he sits down again with his drink, he thinks he should have something to eat. So, he left again to get a snack. And when he came back again, he is getting ready to start working. He again feels that he might as well enjoy the food and drink before working wholeheartedly. As a result, he opens something he likes to watch to enjoy his drink and snacks. After he finished eating, he was supposed to start working, but then he feels he might as well play the game just for a little bit of time. So he opened the game and started playing with his friends. Finally, when he came back to his senses, it was already night outside. When he is looking back at that newly created document, only his name was written on it.

1. Michael Cannetti

Hi Zhi,

Story 1: Man trying to Draw.
    This is an interesting idea with a believable struggle. The question I have is, what is the resolution? Does he actually create what he wanted? Does he give up and discover a new passion? Does the art on the floor and the pencil points form into a shape that give him inspiration? I see the conflict, but we want to see a resolution. If he gives up, what is his next move? There are interesting questions to ask about this one.

Story 2: Man forgets the time.
    This seems like a lot of fun. Could it all be a dream? Is he actually awake? What is the deadline he is supposed to meet? What kinds of dreams is he having? Where is he sleeping? Is he at work? There are a lot of fun ideas to play with in this story.

Story 3: The Lazy Guy
    This is a story that anyone can relate to. I think you can really have fun with this idea as well. There are a ton of angles you can take this story. You can showcase it in a montage which would be a lot of fun. It would be great if it was a college student trying to complete a homework assignment. That would be a lot of fun.

I think all of these stories are attainable and definitely able to be filmed for this class.
    Nice work.

-Michael Cannetti

2. Michael Cannetti

Hi Zhi,

Story 1: Man trying to Draw.

Story 2: Man forgets the time.

Story 3: The Lazy Guy

Nice work.

-Michael Cannetti

3. Darren Le

Please let us know where is the computer?
    Where shall the man go to get a drink?
    How do you open this starting line to let us know that he must finish his thing in one day?
    Thank you for sharing!

• Darren Le

They are my thoughts to logline the man who does not overcome his laziness

4. Yiqiang Wang

Hi, Zhi, I like your stories very much, because they are very real. Sometimes I have the same experience, but I have some suggestions for you.

This story is a good description of a person who likes drawing but has little patience. But I think that at the back of the story, the protagonist picking up the pencil and paper again and continuing to drawing. This can make the story more positive and meaningful

It’s a good story, but I don’t think it’s more interesting if it’s a double dream. When the protagonist wakes up for the first time, he is still in a dream. The second time he wake up, he find that the deadline has passed.

About the third story, I think most people have the same experience, so if you shoot this story, it will resonate with people. In addition, in your story, I know you may need to shoot from day to night, so please pay attention to the influence of ambient light when shooting. In addition to words, ambient light can also better convey the time to the audience.