Professors Montgomery Phillip | OL96 | Fall 2020

Class 2 Pre-Reflection

Reflect on your sense of social justice issues and how they relate to neighborhoods and cities like New York and across the nation. You are welcome to incorporate current issues into your reflection. Write a +/-100 word reflection by replying to this post.

1. Briana Burton

Social justice issues are rampant in the world today. In the United States it is the headline of many hot topics which lead to killings, demonstrations, and total chaos in the country. My concern is that everyone is not treated as equal human beings because some people believe that their lives are more important than others. New York city has different zones for each neighborhood. The buildings in many of these neighborhoods reflect the race or ethnicity of the people living there. In the more upscale neighborhoods as many refer to them as, show well kept buildings, supermarkets with better quality food and other items. On the other hand, other neighborhoods that are labeled as ghetto where low income families who are predominantly black are treated differently. Until equality for all is accepted by everyone, social justice issues such as education, race, voting rights, nationality and many more will continue to exist and create even more problems in the future.

2. Vincent Volastro

There are definitely social justice issues in America, between bad cops and bad judges it puts minorities at a disadvantage. Staten Island is very diverse and I was happy to see our communities come together for peaceful protests for social justice.

3. Milton

Social Justice is an important issue to that reflects in our neighborhoods. One social issue I can think about is gentrification and poverty. Over the years theres been many changes in my neighborhood due to gentrification. Theres people who have lived in their neighborhoods for many years and are now forced to leave because of rent prices going up. Privilege people are moving in with the economic resources that makes everything in a culture neighborhood like for example Bushwick change in rational ways.

4. Citlalli Martinez

I believe in social justice and the current BLM movement. My neighborhood has been active with the movement by holding peaceful protests, candle vigil and much more. With the small platform I have on social media, I advocate a lot about the movement and how important it is to vote. New York City has been going non stop since this all first started and I’m glad to live in a city that speaks up and rallies together to fight a common issue.

5. Richard Li

Due to social justice issues, I would say that neighborhoods and cities like New York and across the nation that most neighborhoods are created with people of the same or below average social statuses. Gentrification is a problem that still exists and is a problem to the people on the lower end of society. Things like government buildings, the projects, is one example of how it affects neighborhood because nowadays when people think of the projects, they think of “the hood” or where poor bad people live and this is usually aimed at people of color, which is still a huge problem. Especially in the lower part of Manhattan and the Bronx is where this is mostly applied to. In the middle of Manhattan, like anywhere near Central Park, that is where the more wealthy and above average people live, so you can see how neighborhoods are created.

6. Farai Matangira

Social justice issues are inequalites of treatment between people. This can be through government policies or within our direct society. Unfair government policies and racial inequalities have also been implemented in neighborhoods through policies such as redining. Redlining in the United States has been one of the main reasons for social justice issues.

7. Marcio Moran

Well, social justice is important and reflects from where everyone comes from. As we know from previous weeks with the battle with the government about BLM, neighborhoods and cities are fighting for their rights. Other examples can be gentrification, how badly the city can change our past experience and memories. Yes, this may benefits others but it doesn’t sastify everyone. Social justice issues builds who we are and wether or not if we want to stand by or against it.

8. Christian Tiburcio

One of the few soicial justice issue that I belive still occurs very frenquently today is poverty. I belive that this is not just affecting my neighborhood but also surrounding neighborhoods in New York City. Prices of rent increases thus leading to more people leaving the city or becoming homeless. Affordable housing is becoming an issue since as someone who has lived in New York City all my life have seen many people moving in togther in crouded apratments just so that can have a roof over their heads while being able to pay the rent as a group. This can relate to one of my very close friends, he lives in a small 3 bedroom apartment with about 7 of his family members. I asked him why so many people? He responded saying “The rent is too high he needs as many people to pay it.” It opened my eyes up, knowing that people are struggling to survive in New York City. Hopefully this issue will be fixed towards the future.

9. Tasfia Amir

I think social justice issues still exist in NYC and in our neighborhood. I’ve seen people discriminating against different races and religions within our neighborhood and it became very common that people started just neglecting the issue. It looks like we are just trying to get used to it and accept it the way it is. Recently in our neighborhood the crime rate has increased. It doesn’t feel safe anymore. One recent event we’ve seen is police brutality against black community. It all starts out in a small community and then becomes really big.

10. zoey

There are problems of social justice in America. Such as racial injustice, and gun violence. For example last few month of ago \, the high-profile police shootings and social protests across the country. Also, in the United States, gun kidnapping homicides are the highest among developed countries, and it is a public health crisis.

11. Zhuo Ying Tan

Social justice is a common issue now in the United State. In my neighborhood it seem like we all comfortable in the area what we are living in now. But when we a saw the news about people fighting against for their rights, then they start complaining about how unequally they have been treated. All our lives should matters and we all should be treat the same way. I’m happy that in my neighborhood people is work quite peacefully together, seeing different cultural people working together in the same area even they don’t know how to speak the others language. Yet, across the USA there’s a lot of people trying to fight for their right with many people injured.

12. hifza zahid

The recent social injustice issues that revolves across the nation is Discrimination. Equal human rights for all seems like it would be simple enough. However, when you look at social justice, it is all about equality. According to be society every individual must be treated equally and fairly.
    Discrimination basically was slavery, which was abolished in America in 1865 but today we still find discrimination examples across the nation. Examples of discrimination such as harassment inappropriate jokes, insults, name-calling or displays such as a poster or cartoons directed at a person because of their race, color, sex or gender, sexual orientation, etc.

13. zhebin zhu

social justice means that there is no distinction between people. People should be treated fairly everywhere, workplaces, schools and public places, etc. In New York , people are from all over the world, It is like a melting pot. It is very difficult in itself to maintain social justice perfectly.

14. JingFeng

NYC neighborhoods created to providing people a safe and comfortable places to live, however neighorhoods been classified by people because of the property or environment, people would likely move to a neighorhood that is having good infrastructures, less crimes, and avoid living in a “Bad” neighborhood.

15. Alexander Israel

Social Justice is a major issue in the US, sadly to say but it is the new normal. We live in a world where cops are not putting any effort to stop crime, instead they contribute, kind of like adding gasoline to a huge flame. Additionally, neighborhoods such as Flatbush, and Canarsie, are known for dangerous activities which make it hard for residents to go through their daily lives. Cops are failing to decrease the number of shootings and deaths in neighborhoods like these.

16. danli

Social justice issues are there for years, and from my observation, the racism is biggest concern to me. We all know America is built on diversity, so people from all over the world came here and stay here to choose this place be their home, but why would people get treat unequally in their home? As a Asian, a minor group in this society, some people think Asians try to take job opportunists from Americans, and I think that’s racism too.

17. Bryam Zuniga

Social Justice issues are a hot topic these days. Poverty and injustice through community development, advocacy, racial issues and more, affect our community and neighborhood. But day by day more and more communities join force against these issues, which shows that humanity is more connected than ever before.

18. Juan Sanchez

I believe social justice issues are a much more complex problem than some people realize. Simply targeting one aspect of the conversation such as race or socioeconomic status, does not do it any good. Instead, I believe that we should accept a multi-faceted approach as all these things are interwoven to make the web we are all caught in. I truly believe that the appropriate approach to tackling these issues is to become as competent as we can possibly be as individuals so that we add more to the conversation being had and actions being taken, rather than choosing sides based on unsubstantiated opinions. I have faith that we can get through the issues we face today and those to come, as we have in the past.

19. Aimei Chen

Social justice issues are important and reflect in our neighborhoods and New York City. For example, safety, gentrification, and poverty. The prices of rent increase and it makes people move around or homeless. The poor people become poorer. When people need money, they may do something illegal. It also increases criminal activities.