Virtual Tour Report of Blue Exhibition at Nassau Museum

New York City is filled with art and inspiration everywhere you look, every block you turn and every building you see.  One of the greatest advantages of being an art lover and living in New York is that this city is filled with museums that are free to cost almost very little for CUNY students. I am first in line for any exhibition I hear of that is happening in the city. Due to the covid-19 restrictions, it has been difficult to visit all the new exhibitions that are being shown in all the different museums so a great alternative to view these exhibitions on a virtual tour. I had the privilege to go on a virtual tour of the Nassau County Museum to view the exhibit Blue. 

Buste de Femme, 1902, lithography

This portrait was painted by Pablo Picasso (Spanish, b. 1881- d. 1973). During the early 1900s, Picasso painted a series of works in the shades of the color blue which became known as his blue period. In his words “I paint objects as I think them, not see them.” His blue period was a reflection of insatiability, poverty, and sadness. 

In my opinion, Picasso reflected his message beautifully through this specific painting because the color blue generally is linked to sadness. The different shades of blue are used to create depth and the contrast between realism and abstract art is nicely done. Looking at this portrait definitely makes you feel the wave of sadness the artist tried to portray and the expressions go very well with the shades of blue. What truly caught my eye was the essence of realism slowly turning into abstract art. 

Blue House on Water #2, 2018, Edition ⅗ with 2 AP, 60.5 x 47 inches

The second image I chose is by an artist named James Casebere (American, b. 1953). James Casabere is a Detroit-born artist and is known for his staged photography which explores the relationship between sculpture, photography, architecture, and film. Casabere’s platform is to depict his subject in a flooded area to reflect on the current climate change situation and natural disasters. The materials he uses to make his tabletop models are plaster, styrofoam, and cardboard. According to Casabere, he uses his work to bring pleasure to the viewer while addressing larger societal issues. In my opinion, I think he does both very gracefully. When you initially look at the image above it gives a sense of peace and calmness especially because of the usage of pastel shades of the color blue with a hint of other colors which are not too distracting. Then the longer you look at the image you start to notice the bigger issue behind the image which is the rising sea levels. I believe that the colors, composition, and tabletop model were executed very nicely and definitely made the impact it needed to. 

Magda’s Blues: II, 1979, oil on canvas 

This painting is by an artist Jon Schueler (American, b 1916- d. 1992). His artwork is inspired by the power of nature and the feeling evoked by the sky, sea, and land. His usage of light and a radiant color palette helped him forget and fade away the memories of wartime. In my opinion, I really like his work and it brings a sense of calmness and peace which he exactly intended for himself after being a veteran and living through trauma. I think his body of work is very effective.