Case Study # 1 – Jernel Williams

What is your evaluation of the client’s intent? What would be your approach to this design problem?

My evaluation of the client’s intent concludes that the client is trying to squeeze out as much profit as possible with this new design. They are not only trying to be cost efficient, but the client is showing that they are negligent and self proclaimed. The only thing that I hear is personal long term gain, I do not think it would be a stress free work environment for employees. This will only cause issues in the long run, therefore I would have to meet common grounds with the client. While ensuring everyone’s happy in the long run such as the client, employees, and myself the designer. To approach this, I would start my looking at what the client wants, then work around it by having an efficient space. Meanwhile obtaining a habitable office space with natural sunlight, lighting, windows, fresh air, acoustically pleasing, and privacy. I would think of ways of making sure the room can fit the occupants needs such as, the required number of desks or work space per sqft. I would also add more windows to make the space feel bigger than it actually was, while adding vegetation because not only is it efficient for air quality. It is aesthetically pleasing, and has a positive impact on the body and mind. 

What more information would you request from the client?

1. How big is the room?
  2. How many people roughly are you planning to occupy this room?
  3. Do you think this is humane to cram a mass amount of people in this space?
  4. What is your long term plan? 
  5. Are you willing to come to mutual ground on this design?
  6. What does efficiency mean to you?
  7. What is your definition of efficiency?
  8. How much are you willing to spend?
  9. How do you feel about a green environment?

At what stage of the contract should this issue be discussed?

I would discuss this at the very beginning, before the design even started. To ensure that there’s mutual understandings about how the cons outweigh the pros, based on what the client desired. That way we can work around it, and enhance the client’s understanding, and happiness after the end game.

Jernel W.