Case Study #1 – Sarawat Juthy

As we are familiar with the universal phrase “The customer is always right”, we also know that isn’t always the case. 

Steve Jobs, while talking about market research, once said, “People don’t know what they want until you show it to them”. That also applies for any type of consumers we can think of. As an architect, it would be my duty not only to satisfy my client, but also to solve the given challenges. As a responsible architect, I have to mention these issues at the very beginning of the project. Probably even before taking the job. Convincing the client would be the first thing to do in a situation like this, with facts and evidence. And there comes the research papers on the relationship between productivity and comfort at work. Clients can come up with bizarre idea’s and demands and that could be because of the lack of knowledge on that particular field. So it is the architect’s job to make sure the client is fully aware of these aspects, and convince them to find a middle ground.  

Some of the information which I would need as an architect are, what would be the number of employees. What would be the budget for this project? The location in which it will be constructed? If this is going to be on an expansive site, why are they limiting the space for the office building? What are the limitations? 

It is also important to let the client know that different work spaces require different programs, depending on how many hours they are working and what type of activities are taking place. Communication is the key. Dicussing the pros and cons with the client, providing them with data and facts, and coming to a conclusive solution together is what would be ideal for this situation.

3 thoughts on “Case Study #1 – Sarawat Juthy”

1. Hey Sarawat!
    I agree with everything you said. You made a good point on speaking about the issues of the project with the client before even accepting it and moving forward with a contract. Its so important that the client and you are on the same page before everything goes into writing. Also making the client aware of things in our field that are important can change their thoughts on what they can and cannot do for their project, which is super important I might say.

2. Hey Sarawat, I agree with you when you say that customers arent always right. Sometimes its better to ask someone who knows what they are doing and what is best for everyone rather than just listening to the client and doing what they want and having to end with poor results. Totally agree on the questions you would ask the client. Love the quote you mentioned above btw. 🙂

3. Hey Sarawat,

Yes, they need to do away with that saying “The customer is always right”, as we know most customers don’t even know what they really want, I think they do however have an idea, but it’s really up to us (designers), to bring it into this “plane of reality”. I like how you refer to yourself as “A responsible architect”, I respect that. the information that you stated about what you would need from the client, i’m in agreement with totally as it would set the design perimeters. You make strong pointers.