My favorite Building

The Seagram Building

During our walking tour in Midtown Manhattan we had the opportunity of personally visualize some of the buildings that we had discussed in class. By looking at their features and aspects more closely, coming near or even entering the buildings it made us understand a lot more of them and their characteristics. Experiencing these buildings really has an impact on people, it could either make you like it or not. The Seagram Building by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Philip Johnson is the building that I chose over all the buildings we saw in the walking tour. And you may ask yourself why did I choose this building?

Sometimes you may not understand something until you actually experience it. The Seagram building is one of the early skyscrapers in NYC; it was built using the international Style which had enormous impact on America architecture. The first time I saw this building I really didn’t like it at all, to me it just appeared as a simple bronze box, but after coming close to it and after having the opportunity of appreciating most of its characteristics, including the peacefulness of its plaza it made me like it even more.

The Seagram has a many characteristics, it combine a braced frame with a moment frame, it was one of the first tall buildings to use a vertical truss bracing system and the first tall building to employ a composite steel and concrete lateral frame. It has large windows and windows blinds which are specifically selected to keep the façade appearance in an organized way. Mies specified window blinds which only operated in three positions – fully open, halfway open/closed, or fully closed.

However the characteristics I liked the most were the illuminated ceiling which I think it give to the building an unique look, and the plaza what create an urban open space in front of the building, with big water fountains at both sides of the entrance it creates a peaceful environment that serves as the gathering place for ether people coming out their office to have lunch, or people who are only walking by.

This entry was posted in My favorite... and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to My favorite Building

1. This is also my favorite building in the city so far. The simplicity of this building is just unique in a way. Like when you stand in front of it there is nothing that you would change about it. I talking about this building too in my blog. Good job.