Exploring Architecture communities

Chimdiebube C. Ejimbe

ARCH 1121

Professor B.S Mishara

EXPLORING THE COMMUNITY OF ARCHITECTS

Following a recent assignment to explore the community of architects through a website –  www.archinect.com  that is used by architects to connect, share ideas as well as critique the works of their fellow architects. I made a brief summary of some of the interesting things I found while browsing through the website. The website is quite versatile with several different functions.

I was reading through the “NEWS” section of the website when I came across the project proposed by Dubai, called “The Museum of the future”. This museum is proposed to be open in 2017; it will serve as both a museum as well as a research lab. The museum’s name was probably derived from its unique shape and the type of equipment they intend to display in it. The museum is to have an oval hollow-like shape with lines from the poem of Mohammed sheikh incorporated to its steel exterior. Inside the museum would feature a display of the latest technology and their inventors. The website contained a YouTube link   which I happened to watch myself. You can also fin the video on YouTube by searching ‘Museum of the future Dubai’. There were not many details about the museum as it is still under construction. It was a good brief documentary and it seems like it would be a great museum when completed.

There was also a ‘jobs’ section that was really good. There were thousands of firms from around the country putting up job listings. Jobs ranging from project Architects, down to a firm internship program. It was really amazing and easy to apply, all you had to do was upload your resume to your profile and apply there online. Firms or companies who also use the website will call you randomly if your resume qualifies for the job. It’s just like a win-win case. I saw it as a form of support and encouragement or support for students as well as unemployed architects.

I read through numerous sections on the website, there were a lot of information to helps architects nationwide. The ‘PROJECTS’ section on the other hand was just totally amazing. There were amazing documentations of beautiful houses built by different architects worldwide. Some of the houses were totally jaw dropping they were not just houses, some of them were a form of self-expression.

Subsequently, I personally found the website awesome. There were other sections like: ‘COMPETITIONS’, ‘BLOGS’, ‘FORUM’, to mention but a few. One thing is for sure, I believe this website to be revolutionary, it breaks barriers, it gees a long way in bringing architects as well as students close. I bet you confidently that going through this website for just a day, you will learn important information that you will never learn in any school of architecture around the world. I have learnt a lot, I even went further to register for free as a member and I plan on using this website as often as it’ll require me because no matter how good you are, we never stop learning. Two heads are better than one, the more we continue to share information amongst each other, the more we learn. Knowledge is power.

This entry was posted in Archinet. Bookmark the permalink.