Assignment 1

My name is Caleb Charles and at a young age I was introduced to architecture through my brother and other family members. At first I didn’t like it that much because drawing by hand was always a bit difficult for me but I was able to quickly pick up and learn CAD and other drafting programs. For me the thought that I could start off with a conceptual idea and then developed that idea into a physical structure all the while solving structural and spatial problems is exciting to me. Working within set restraints in order to solve different problems and issues that may arise is like solving a puzzle to me. However it was my past experience with architecture and a fascination for problems solving that lead me to decide to study architecture.

To me Architecture is the physical embodiment of an idea that is brought up to life from its early stages as a design concept and transitions to a finished structure. It could also be seen as a practice where form complements functionality, meaning that while the purpose of the structure is important and has to be taken into account, the structures aesthetic aspects should not be overlooked as I gives the entire construct a visual meaning.

Architecture can also be see as a structure that is designed to shelter us from the elements and give us a sense of separation of the indoor and outdoor spaces. Throughout history our methods and practices in architecture has evolved allowing for the development of new materials and even new ways of approaching problems that can arise in the building process. It is because of this evolution of practices that architecture can serve as a timeline of human culture and achievements.

On a basic level architecture is a construct that provides us with safety and security. Not only does it separate us from the elements of the outdoors but it also separates and gives place to our various types of activities. Depending on the structures purpose, architecture can be used to evoke a specific atmosphere and induce a sense of emotion through the manipulation of space, lighting and even colors.

This entry was posted in Introduction. Bookmark the permalink.