Open Lab Assignment #1: Introduction

(categorize and post under introduction)

Tell us about yourself. Why do you want to study architecture? What meaning does architecture have for you? Some topics you may want to include: where were you born, what languages do you speak, how long have you been at City Tech, did you attend other colleges, what is your reaction to college, do you have any experiences with architecture or construction. So let me begin…

My name is Barbara Smith Mishara. I prefer to be called Professor Mishara. I am a native New Yorker and, although I lived in Manhattan for many years, I consider myself a native Brooklynite. I’m a registered architect with a specialization in historic preservation. I earned my architectural degrees from New York Institute of Technology and Columbia University. I tried several careers, but I was never satisfied; I was not using all my abilities. Then I found architecture! I love the complexity and challenge of combining so many elements into one project. I truly believe what I talk about in class. Architecture is not only design or only construction, but a synthesis of “firmness, commodity and delight”. I also relish my role as teacher. I enjoy sharing my love and knowledge of architecture with my students. I look forward to our collaboration this semester.

This post is 144 words. Your post should contain between 100-200 words. Remember to comment on another’s post or to ask the blogger a question. There is no word count for comments.

This entry was posted in Introduction. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Open Lab Assignment #1: Introduction

1. Anna G says:

Anna Glowacka
    ARCH 1121 HISTORY OF ARCH. TECHNOLOGY
    Week 1 HW Assignment

My name is Anna and I was born in Poland. Moved to New York at the age of six and lived in Ridgewood Queens since then. I speak Polish and English both fluently, and a few words in French and a few other languages. I attended the High School of Art & Design because I fell in love with art since I can remember! This is my first semester in City Tech and I’m looking forward to learning as much as I can.

Architecture is the art and science of putting a building together.
    A structure must defy gravity, provide shelter, and comfort to the consumer residing in it. Since the beginning of time, those were the qualities we looked for and continue to look for today. What started as simple as wooden home we now have an era of steel skyscrapers, smart homes, and historic cathedrals amongst some examples. This is a field that keeps moving forward so architects are always looking for new ideas to interest the consumer especially in a market where new technology, consumer demand, and styles change on a daily basis, which makes this very exciting!
    Self-discovery brought me to the spring 2015 Architectural Class. I want to find out more about the structures that surround us on a daily basis and would like to see how my ideas come to life on paper. I would like my ideas to benefit the population around me. As an art high school student, my friends and I would always love to visit local modern built buildings near us such as the Bloomberg building or all the other amazing glass atriums and admire the skill that artist must have possessed. I assume that’s when I decided to give Architecture a try because buildings always seem to bring people together.

2. Shixin Li says:

My name is Shixin Li. When I was young, I always saw my uncle drew a lot of floor plans and designed the rooms, I thought that was architecture. Since I have grown up, I started to realize that architecture was different than my uncle’s works. And his job was interior designer not architect. I started to think about what were the difference between interior design and architecture. I kept thinking about this question until I got into an after school program named ACE. In this program I learned that design the room and floor plan were parts of architecture. And the difference between interior design and architecture was architecture was designing the whole building, and interior just design a specific room. And when I read the books about architecture, I started to figure out what it means architecture.
    To me, architecture is about designing building, we need to consider about safety, also we need to adopt art with it. We need to make the building be special, not just a building, make it becomes a symbol of the time, a representative of a place, and an art work of the timeline. And architecture also is about providing a place that can protect public health and safety. The building that we design also need to be durable, materials always play the important role because it is about safety and budget.
    Since I have been watching my uncle do his job as an interior designer, I was interested in drawing when I was young. In the past, I wanted to be an interior designer; however my mother suggested me to study architecture first, so that I started to read and learn about it. I found out actually this was an interesting major. After I joined the ACE program, I worked in the company as an architect with other students. We grouped as a team to do a project, I learned that even though architecture is about designing, however it also was a team work. I am excited to do this with other people, I like team work, I like to share my idea and listen the advices from other people, so that we can make a better work. This is why I choose architecture, it is a long and a hard way, but I will keep moving on and achieve it.

3. shihaochen says:

My name is Shihao Chen, this is my second semester in City Tech.
    What is Architecture? In Wikipedia, Architecture is define as both the process and the product of planning, designing, and constructing buildings and other physical structures. Architectural works, in the material form of buildings, are often perceived as cultural symbols and as works of art. Personally, Architecture means design and construction, including the function, technical, society, environment, material and aesthetic consideration. Also, Architecture is not only a building, it also can apply to many different things. Architecture can reflect to the local civilization, such as pyramid, great Wall and Stonehenge.
    The reason why Im choose this major is because I like to create things by my hand, since I own a toy car, I disassembly and repair it with different type of material and replacement; and I was good at hand drawing.

4. My name is Daniel Wright born and raised in Jamaica and now I’m living in New York. This is my definition of Architecture and how I fell in love with it.
    The word Architecture may vary in meaning from person to person but the general definition of Architecture is the art or practice of designing and constructing buildings. It can also be defined as the style in which a building was designed or constructed. Architecture has become more essential to the way we live as humans. It has shaped the way we use the land space in such a way that we just have to sit back and admire the work of us human beings.
    I would define Architecture as the study and process by which buildings are developed. Architects are like scientist; constantly learning something new to improve on what has already being done. Architecture is the creation of structures made with precision to form gravity defying buildings or buildings which works well with gravity.
    The process of designing a building has to be proportionally and rhythmically planned to have a consistency of stability in the building. These structures which becomes a building whether it be a mega structure or something created with simplicity is a means of shelter for us humans, animals or even plants. The safety of animals, plants or humans of which the shelter has been provided for should always be at the front of an Architects mind. Architecture is really based on providing a safe housing. An unsafe building would defeat its purpose of being a building.
    Architecture in its own way has revolutionized from the making of huts to the making of skyscrapers. It’s interesting to see how ancient practices are still being used in today’s architectural processes. From the days of making openings in ancient dwelling to allow natural light to pass through to present days where windows are strategically being placed to allow or block the sunlight from entering that given building.
    Growing up I always stopped to admire the simple but complex forms used to create these structures. While normal boys were admiring cars and trucks I would sit and daydream about the process by which buildings were being developed. Going on construction sites in Jamaica was always a thing I made sure I did during my spare time. Watching a building grow from foundation to the very roof amused me.
    My fascination with such beautiful structures has led me into pursuing a career in Architecture. My dream is to be a famous architect travelling from country to country designing beautiful buildings for the comfort of us humans while not endangering our wildlife.