Module: Getting started on the OpenLab with Math Model Courses
Part 1: Before you begin
Part 2: Cloning a model course
Part 3: Customizing your course
Part 4: Updating Posts
Part 5: Updating other elements of your course
This 5-part module is designed to take you through the steps of cloning a Math model course and customizing it for use in your own section. Note that a great deal more information about each step of the process (as well as many additional resources introducing various aspects of the OpenLab) can be found on the Teaching With The OpenLab site (links to resources will be provided throughout the module).
Resource Alert: Teaching With The OpenLab
Before you begin:
Depending on your prior experience, some or all of the following resources may be helpful.
- If you are new to teaching online, check out Teaching in an Online Community.
- If you are wondering what the OpenLab is all about, see Discovering the OpenLab.
- To create your account on the OpenLab, see Join the OpenLab.
- If you’ve never worked with an OpenLab course before, you can learn about the basic structure (Course Profile, Course Site) and related Privacy issues through Understanding OpenLab Courses.
Next, collect the following materials and information:
Essential information (you’ll need these to get started):
- Course and Section Number
Required materials (but you can get started without them):
- Image(s) for use as site header and/or avatar
- Your course syllabus, grading policy, and so on
- Any other course materials you would like to make available to your students