- Find the derivative of an implicit function by using implicit differentiation.
- Use implicit differentiation to determine the equation of a tangent line to an implicit function.
- Chapter 3.8 Implicit Differentiation
- p. 317: 300-303 all, 309, 311, 315, 319
Exit problems of the session
Use implicit differentiation to find of the following functions:(a). (b).
- Find the equation of the tangent line to the graph of the given equation at the indicated point
- Use implicit differentiation to find derivatives of implicitly defined functions.
- An implicit defined function is a function that the relationship between the function and the variable is expressed by an equation where is not expressed entirely in terms of .
- Implicit differentiation is a technique for computing for a function defined by an equation, accomplished by differentiating both sides of the equation (remember to treat the variable as a function) and solving for .
Videos and Practice Problems of Selected Topics
- Implicit differentiation (8:01) A discussion on the implicit derivative of the unit circle .
- An example (4:55) Implicit differentiation of .
- An example (5:24) Find the slope of the tangent line to the curve at using implicit differentiation.
- * Practice: Find implicitly. (4 problems)