- Find the derivative of exponential functions.
- Find the derivative of logarithmic functions.
- Use logarithmic differentiation to determine the derivative of a function.
- Chapter 3.9 Derivatives of Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- p. 331: 331, 334, 337, 340, 341, 346, 347, 351
Exit problems of the session
Find the derivative of the following functions:(a). (b). (c). (d).
- Use logarithmic differentiation to find the derivative of the following functions.
- Differentiation formulas for the exponential and logarithmic functions.
- Logarithmic differentiation allows us to differentiate functions of the form or very complex products or quotients by taking the natural logarithm of both sides and exploiting the properties of logarithms before differentiating.
Videos and Practice Problems of Selected Topics
- Derivative of exponential functions (5:24) Deriving the formula of the derivative of .
- Derivative of logarithmic functions (4:47) Deriving the formula of the derivative of .
- An example (3:39) Find the derivative of .
- An example (4:09) Find the derivative of .
- * Practice: Derivatives of and . (4 problems)