Instructor: Suman Ganguli

First OpenLab Assignment: Introductions & “Mathography”

Your first OpenLab assignments are to

1. join the course group, and
  2. (a) introduce yourself to your classmates and (b) write a short “mathography” about your experiences with mat (see below).

This assignment is due Tuesday, September 7.  Each of these assignments will earn you one point towards the Participation component of your course grade. Late submissions will receive partial credit.

Introduce yourself: Post a comment in reply to this post introducing yourself to the class.  Your comment should be 1 or 2 (short) paragraphs in length:

1. In the first paragraph, introduce yourself in whatever way you wish. You could include:
  • your academic interests, including your major if you have chosen one;
  • where you’re from and/or where you currently live;
  • where you went to high school;
  • what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time;
  • and anything else you want to share (include your pronouns, if you wish). 

2. In the second paragraph, choose ONE of the following two topics and write a short response:

Topics (choose ONE).

1. Was math ever your favorite subject? If so, when was it? What about math made it your favorite? If math has never been your favorite subject, what about it do you not like?
  2. Sometimes people can recognize a time when their opinion of math dramatically changed either for the better or the worse. Tell us about it.

Optional: Get to know your classmates! You can write a response to one of your classmates’ comments by using the “Reply” button under a given comment. Do you have similar interests? Did you learn anything? Do you have any advice? Please be kind!

1. Ivan R

My name is Ivan Rosas and I’m interested in learning about computer engineering. I live in Queens, went to H.S. For CTEA (High School For Construction Trades Engineering Architecture), and I enjoy playing video games in my spare time.
    Math used to be my favorite subject because of how easy it was to understand and how I was able to complete problems with moderate difficulty. I started to dislike it when they introduced more variables in an equation which made it more complex and made it difficult to follow.

2. Jade Whittingham

My name is Jade Whittingham and I’m interested in IT (Information Technology), majoring in Computer Information Systems. I currently live in Brooklyn. I attended BASE (Brooklyn Academy for Science and the Environment), and I enjoy reading both fiction and nonfiction with mystery/action/comedy elements and playing video games. I’ve played a majority of sports in highschool to now and usually skateboard when I have time for myself on the weekends if possible. I prefer watching shows with a storyline that won’t be boring as the episodes go on. I don’t have a favorite subject, however science is the one that interests me the most.

As for math, I don’t think I’ve liked or disliked math at any point until highschool. Math for me wasn’t specifically easy or difficult, however I often didn’t make a mistake in my work. When I first was introduced to variables and geometry, I started finding math more challenging and stressful especially if I was not given an practice example for a problem.

3. Alicia M

Hello my name is Alicia McLaughlin (she/her) I’m a New York native. My major is Computer Systems. My favorite subjects are English and History. I always been connected to English due to my love for writing while history tells me a story. While in high school i joined the theater and guitar club which was very interesting and cool. It allowed us to be creative and free in our crafts. One thing that i really love to do is read, I heavily enjoy reading manga’s, comics, novels, and etc. I also really enjoy playing video games , watching anime, movies, and writing poetry.

Math has to be one of the subjects i get the hang of and then get absolutely lost. Algebra is fine but i cant stand geometry. I end up getting really confused easily but i hope to over come that. I think geometry is what made me start to dislike math because of the various formulas.

4. Aliaksandra Mikhalchanka

Hello! My name is Aliaksandra Mikhalchanka. I am interested in pursuing Nursing, and taking this class as the last prerequisite for the program. I went to FHHS located in Queens and recently graduated with Liberal Arts associate degree from BMCC. My hobbies are cycling and photography. In my spare time I enjoy watching new movies, and spend time with friends and family.
    Math has never been my favorite subject, in fact, it was a subject that I have always feared. The numbers, the equations, the endless solutions always seemed like a hard puzzle that I was never able to solve, and therefore tried to escape thinking that it just wasn’t meant for me to gain this sacred knowledge. Senior year of high school just a month before graduation, my opinion about math shifted as the teacher was going above and beyond in the class, making sure every student understood the topic. I am looking forward to learning more in this class this semester to not only receive a good grade for the pre-req, but to break the circle of confusion and start enjoying math like I did in those rare moments.

5. Kamila Artikova

Hi, everyone! My name is Kamila. I love dancing, doing yoga and playing tennis. My favorite major are Psychology and Anatomy/Physiology. When I have free time I love rollerskating, reading a book or just watching movies. I try to get into Radiology program.

For me algebra makes more sense than geometry. Luckily, I always had ab educated and generous teachers/professors who tried to help me with any math difficulties. The harder class, the more chances I’ll get lost. Thats why is very important to know a basic foundation of math.

6. Aseela

Hello, my name is Aseela Hassan, and I live in Brooklyn. I attended Khalil Gibran International Academy high school in Brooklyn. I’m pursuing a degree in vision care technology and planning on going to optometry school. This is the final required course for my associate’s degree. In my free time, I enjoy watching horror movies and Turkish dramas. I also enjoy going out with friends and family. I like watching and listening to youtube videos about real-life stories and history that I find beneficial. Although I have an interest in history and writing, I find reading and math to be a headache.

I’ve disliked math since fourth grade. It’s been difficult and stressful since then, and I blame the teachers I had because they didn’t care whether or not the students understood and kept pushing forward. I prefer geometry to algebra because it focuses on lines and shapes rather than numbers, which I find easier. Math is easier for me to understand when the teacher explains it to me step by step. Furthermore, the fact that I wouldn’t have to deal with math every semester was a huge relief to me when I entered college. This is the second time I’m taken this course. I had to drop the class because of a terrible professor which stopped me from graduating. Hopefully, I’ll pass the class, learn something new and get my degree this time.

7. Jena Lee

Hello everyone! My name is Jena. My academic interests range from Computer Science to Psychology however my official major is Health Science as I am anticipating applying to a medical program with it. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York in the wonderful 90’s and I recently moved back to NYC from NJ to return to school. I am so busy during the week that in my spare time I just like to relax with a little TV and reading. Some of my go-to TV things are anything in the True Crime category or “The Office”.

Math has always been quite difficult for me because I never took the time to learn the foundation which I feel is most important. In my first semester of college I remember being extremely nervous about taking math but to my surprise I found myself enjoying it because I began to understand it. At that point in time my opinion of math changed thanks to having a great professor and lots of studying outside of class. While I still struggle with math my outlook on it is more positive because I know with time and studying I can do well at it again.

8. CAROLIN BESHAY

HI, My name is carolin beshay, just a little girl who is 6 years old wanting to have a good education and an easy life. Always wanted to travel the world. I was born and raised in Egypt for 6 years. My parents always had a future planned for me and my siblings. My brother was 2 years younger than me. My dad came to the U.S in the 2000s. I wasn’t born yet. He was engaged to my mom and knew he wouldn’t take a further step until he knew everything he wanted would come true. Worked so hard and didnt take a day off. After 2 years he came back and married my mom in 2002, the same year I was born. He wasn’t yet done with papers. He came back to the United states and a few years later in 2006 me, my mom and brother came. then in 2010 my little sister was born. my father knew what he was doing. Everything was easier on us together. He knew coming to the U.S is a better lifestyle for us. We would have an education and we wouldn’t have to see what happened to coptic orthodox for being christian. It was difficult but we got through it.

Studying was really fun for me. I enjoy keeping myself busy with doing the work. I usually like English and science. Math isn’t really something I would consider my favorite. I never really understood it. However, I’m determined to keep trying my best and understand it. I’m prepared to know more but will continue to ask for help until i get it.

9. Rashira

My name is Rashira, I’m from Costa Rica and I live in Brooklyn. I been living in New York for 11 years, I came to this country when I was 13 and I attended to Williamsburg Charter High School. I’m currently working as an accession at a laboratory. Since I was little, I always wanted to become a nurse. My goal is to become a NICU nurse, one of the reasons is because I love infants and I love helping people get better. Also, one of the things that I like to do in my free time is going out with friends and family, doing fun activities and travel.

Math always been one of my weak subjects. I did like math the first days I started school, but after 5th grade, it started to get difficult for me and more difficult when I moved to New York. I also never give up on math, I always try my best to understand, study, and do every single work to pass the class. However, I am taking this class as a requirement to start the nursing program and hoping to learn and improve through this course.

10. Valery Romero

Hi everyone, my name is Valery Romero. My major is Architecture and I live in Brooklyn NY. I went to HSTAT which stands for High School Telecommunications art and technology. Something I like doing is to listen to music but I really don’t listen to one kind of music so I listen to any kind of music. On my free time I like taking out my dog, painting, and watch Netflix movies.

I was good at math starting in middle school also a bit in elementary school but I really don’t remember, so I started liking math and solving problems though Im not sure if it was because back then it was very easy or just because I was good at it. Now a days I a not that good at it like back then but I still like it. If math was never a subject then I think my other favorite subject will be art because I like sketching and painting and I’ll say I’m not that good at it but decent.

11. Joel Mejia

Hello Everyone, my name is Joel. I’m majoring in Computer Engineering Technolgogy. I attended HSCT (High School of Computers and Technology). Attending HSCT made me like and want to extend my studies towards Technology. I enjoy reading the latest articles on Tech and also reading about whats going on around the world. One of my favorite shows that I like watching is “The Office”. During my spare time I like to play video games, watch boxing and football/soocer, and spending time with my family.

During my first 1 years of High School I found math okay but as time went on, I started to not find it fun. It was probably Geometry that made me no like math as much. It was a subject that can easily have you lost. When it got to the various formulas and the dimensions of things I had a hard time. I’m also those type of people that learns something and forgets it a few years later, especially if I’m not a fan of the subject.

12. Wesley Abreu

Hello fellow Classmates, My name is Wesley Abreu. I am currently majoring in computer systems and my ultimate goal is to create my own software. I went to a High School located in the south bronx called Mott Haven Village Preparatory. During my years in high school I came across some wonderful people. It is also where I found my passion for technology. During my spare time I love to play competitive gaming, going up against the top players in the world. Competitive gaming brings the best out of me, you have to have a high IQ when going up against the best players in the world. One mess up can cause you to lose the entire game. During my spare time I also go to the gym, I hit the gym at least 5 times a week. I am a “GYMSHARK” as they say. health is wealth without our health on the right track we won’t be to set out what we want to accomplish.
    My opinion on math changed when I got to high school. As a freshman I had to take trigonometry since I passed both my algebra and geometry regents in middle school. My opinion on math changed for the better for the simple fact that I started enjoying it for what it was. in middle school I felt like I was forced to take it since I was in the honors class. I’m just upset that I took math so early in my high school years because now that I am in college I have forgotten a lot formulas. anything above algerba is foreign to me. I hope by the end of this class everything comes back to me.

13. Kellyn Pleitez

Hello! My name is Kellyn (Kay-Lin)
    I’m a first-year student who graduated from Esperanza Preparatory Academy, a public dual -language high school in the Upper East Side of Manhattan. My major is Liberal Arts and my family is from Honduras. I enjoy playing volleyball and soccer. I also enjoy reading but I don’t read as often or as much as I would like to and I love listening to music.

Of all school subjects, math had been my least favorite up until recently. Before, I’d always dread having to do math and never really enjoyed it as I would constantly find myself struggling like most. I am most familiar with algebra since I’ve taken this course already as well as trigonometry my freshman and junior year of high school.

14. Ali Mkhantar

Hi everyone, my name is Ali Mkhantar. I’m a bio major and plan on becoming a physical therapist. I love playing soccer and I went to fort hamilton high school. Math at some point was surprisingly my favorite subject but that was in elementary school. I enjoyed it then because it was simple but I grew to dislike it once it became complicated. I am happy to turn a new leaf for this subject as im excited to learn more.

15. Emma Zakowski

Hi! My name is Emma and I am attending City Tech to pursue my goal of becoming an nurse. I currently work in a hospital and am hoping to meet my next challenge head on. I would love to be a travel nurse and I am hoping to get out of New York. I am really happy that I took this course and not quantitative reasoning. I like seeing what I remember from high school and surprisingly it is more than I imagined! I knew I did not want word problems and now I am looking forward to math class and seeing how much I can piece together.

16. Jacky Li

My name is Jacky Li and I am currently a COMD major at City Tech. This is my second year at this school. Due to the pandemic and having to take classes online I find that it was been difficult to feel like a student. I want to get more involved at City Tech by joining a club. I am interested in anything creative and that deals with the arts. A show that I watched recently that I really enjoyed would be Big Little Lies on HBO.

Throughout my academic career math has never been my strongest subject. Although I had average grades in it, I would not consider it my favorite. I find that it makes me very anxious at times. Most of the time I understand the topic when I am learning it in class but when I am taking a test I feel that I forget everything. I plan to attend tutoring and go to office hours this semester whenever I need help on something. Hopefully this semester I will get an A in all my classes.

17. Jovon

My name is Jovon Cheddar and I am attending City Tech college to pursue my goal. I am studying Information Technology. I started learning in high school when I was deciding what I wanted to do When I went to college I got into a program called steam and it showed me what I wanted to do in my life and I remembered how fun it was to learn more about Information Technology since it was something new that I did not know at the time and it grow into something kind of passionate that I wanted to learn more about.

18. mahdi ahammad

hey, my name is mahdi ahammad i am a cst major and at the moment i am thinking of pursuing a career in the it field and to be quite frank math isnt my best subject but i hope to overcome this by the end of my freshman year and hope prof suman can help me out. during my spare time i like going outside traveling playing sports as well as working