RAB Source Entry #3 -Mamadu Jalloh

Part 1 MLA Citation

wcmhnbc4. “Muslims May Struggle to Observe Ramadan during COVID-19 Crisis.” YouTube, YouTube, 17 Apr. 2020, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py7ksLYBBrw.

Part 2 Summary

This is a 2 minute video that was aired on NBC4 news network . This video was made to bring awareness on the struggles Muslims has to endure during the month of Ramadan. The Journalist reporter states that state orders during Ramadan is to test Muslims faith. In the video, an interview was conducted on a Muslim named Aden Mohamed where he talks about with the Corona Virus it is the first Ramadan where people are unable to gather and Muslims wont be able to do things they previously could’ve done. Moreover, He states everything Muslims knew normally is not going to be available. This refers Mosque that are now unable to host gatherings that provide food for Muslims who are less fortunate to be able to fast through Ramadan. The video touches on the lack of resources as an interviewee states ” I cannot find rice, and flower and sugar”. It is unknown how Muslims will get through this adversity but there are organizations like “My project USA” are securing food for Muslims who in assistance during Ramadan.

Part 3A Reflection

This video is eye opening to say the least. it displays how the world is changing around us because of the Corona Virus and how it is affecting Muslims around the world. I think the video focus on real problems that affect Muslims communities today. I agree that it is hard to fast during an epidemic and that it is the responsibility of the fortunate to help the unfortunate. I loved when real Muslims were being interviewed as it authenticated the issues Muslims were facing. Although this video was based in Columbus Ohio, The points mentioned were relevant to the entirety of the world. It is heartwarming to know that there are organizations like “My project USA” where Muslims unite to help to other less fortunate Muslims.

Part 3B Rhetorical / Genre Analysis

This video by NBC4 target audience are people across the world. They want to convey the hardships Muslims face in Columbus Ohio to the rest of the world. This video is an effective genre as it shows firsthand how Muslims livelihood are changing and how they are adapting to the unfortunate circumstances. This video was shared on YouTube which on its own is not the most reliable source. However, It was shared on a news network that has a journalistic duty to be objective. They are just publicizing on one of the collateral damages caused by the corona virus pandemic.

Part 4 Notable Quotable:

“We wont be able to do some of the normal things we were doing in previous Ramadan” (Aden Mohamed)

“Those Meals they really come through for you” (Aden Mohamed)

“Ramadan’s lots of activities and spirituality are all missing this year” (Zerqa Abid)

“Its a month dedicated to Fasting, Prayer, Reflection and community”( Zerqa Abid)

1 thought on “RAB Source Entry #3 -Mamadu Jalloh”

1. Mamadu: I dont’ have time to look carefully at your work here. It’s LATE HW. But my eye caught this —

In Rhetorical Analysis You write: It was shared on a news network

You need to google NBC 4 local news in Ohio area and get some CSD on that station to prove it’s credible reliable tv news source. Write a sentence into your Part 3B Rhetorical Genre analysis. ALSO the genre is news video — you need to say that. Remember it’s one of the items you shoudl include in this part.