Writing Task Mentor Quote – Mamadu Jalloh

Those who have swords, and know how to use them, but keep them sheathed, shall inherit the world“- Jordan Peterson

There was a time when I believed that it is pivotal to be a nice person. I would attempt to satisfy everyone’s needs before my own. I was very high in agreeableness to the point where i would do something even if I truly didn’t want to. This caused complications at both my workplace and school. It quickly became evident that not everyone holds the same standards and principles as my self. People would take advantage of my kindness and exploit it to the point where I would feel bitter and resentful in the inside. Some nights I would conspire methods in my bedroom on how I would combat this complication. I was trying to develop the courage to be able to say “NO” to the things that I thought was not befitting of me to do. I would reassure myself it is the right thing to in my head repetitively whilst pacing back and forth. However, when it came time to execute the plan I abandoned everything I rehearsed and submit to the request of others.

In many ways I felt like I was betraying myself and started becoming irritated. The quote by Dr. Jordan Peterson expresses that it is crucial for a person to know when to assert dominance when need be. This was applicable to my situation because, though it is crucial to be empathetic towards others it is just as important to be disagreeable if I truly don’t want to do something. I learned it was better to have a minor conflict in the initial stages then to submit to a request and build resentment later on. This was applicable to my workplace, when my boss would tell me to do something outside of my field I would explain it is not my line of duty. Of course, at that moment he would be exasperated or maybe want to fire me on the spot, but later on he would have more respect when I tell him “No” without causing great problems. Now I understand when you say “NO” tit adds more value to when you say “YES’ which in turn make people more appreciative. Moreover. It is important maintain a moderate balance between being an “Agreeable” and “Disagreeable” person.

4 thoughts on “Writing Task Mentor Quote – Mamadu Jalloh”

1. This is out of context but I really like your choice of words, it makes the story more interesting. I used to have the same issue, I was way too nice to people but I didn’t have anyone to give me advice on it, I sort of learned how to become more truthful with others on my own.

2. Good — Mamadu you write well!

NOW suggestion to develop more:

You write: This caused complications at both my workplace and school. . . . People would take advantage of my kindness and exploit it . . . This was applicable to my workplace, when my boss would tell me to do something outside of my field.
    Can you expand with a descriptive scene of one of these “complications” — how about focusing on a school situation? (remember we are working toward writing an education narrative). Remember you are trying to create Theatre of the Mind for your reader.

ALSO — who is JOrdan Peterson? How did you discover him or meet him? And why do you feel a connection to his words?