Writing Task Mentor Quote – Karem Ali

“Work harder” My mentor told me this when he knew that I could do better but I was just being lazy and just passing when I could’ve been getting higher grades. Me and my mother had just come home from parent teacher conference and I had went to my room. My mom showed my dad my report card and he came into my room and told me that I did good but he knows I could do better basically. Then when he was just about to walk out my room he said just these two words “Work harder”. Those words stuck with me forever. Not just in academics but in life in general.

After my dad had told me this I started to hustle and get better grades in school and care. I started raising my hand more in class and putting all my effort intohomeworkk and writing better also. I also started to take this into real life too and started working towards my goals. I had went and got a job and started to get the equipment that I needed. So, thanks to my dad telling me those two words, it completely changed me as a person. I don’t even think he realizes it but he helped me a lot.

3 thoughts on “Writing Task Mentor Quote – Karem Ali”

1. Karem:
    Why don’t you say “my dad” outright instead of “mentor”..so start with: “Work harder,” my dad told me….Then: Why do you think these words that are SO SIMPLE had this huge impact on you? Can you give some details on the effect of these simple words. Is it that they came from your dad? Is he a mentor to you because of ___ (his own life story, his own lack or example of working hard?) Why these words from him — why has this made a difference in your outlook, in your actions?

Can you give more details?

You write: I was just being lazy and just passing [so can you describe your attitude or your perfromance, behavior at school at this time. SHOW me that you were lazy. Don’t just say it — SHOW with a few sentences of description.

YOU: I started to hustle and get better grades in school and care [give exmaples, describe what you hustled to do differently. details. needed]

YOU: I started raising my hand more in class and putting all my effort intohomeworkk [ok what else besides raising hand] and writing better [explain] also. I also started to take this into real life too and started working towards my goals [give exmaple, description of real life new changes]. I had went and got a job and started to get the equipment [what job, what equipment] that I needed. DON’T JUST TELL ME — SHOW ME with good description. Give me theatre in my mind!