Reading Response to Malcolm X – Migdalia Rivera

Malcolm x said ‘Let me tell you something: From then until I left that prison, in every free moment I had, if I was not reading in the library, I was reading on my bunk. You couldn’t have
gotten me out of books with a wedge’ . this shows Malcolm loved to read . instead of working out or spending time doing other things in prison he would of rather read to expand his knowledge . he said you couldn’t get me out with a wedge , he was very devout in reading learned of people and places and events from history.
As I see it today, the ability to read awoke inside me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive. I certainly wasn’t seeking any degree, the way a college confers a status symbol upon its students. My homemade education gave me.’ Malcolm was very proud of the knowledge he gain by him self in prison . the book and dictionary he was reading opened many doors for him . people thought he exceed pass the 8th grade but it was all self made guidance and structure .

1 thought on “Reading Response to Malcolm X – Migdalia Rivera”

1. Migdalia: One thing to work on is using MX’s words, his exact words, to come up with your explanation. Suggestion to examine more carefully: awoke inside me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive. Explain why he uses words associated with sleep: awoke, dormant. Then what does it mean to be CRAVING to be MENTALLY ALIVE?

Focus on his exact words to come up with your explanation. YOu need to be able to develop your answers more fully.