RAB Source Entry 2 –E

My research question is, How does marijuana affect the adolescent mind? This topic interests me because there are so many different debates on this topic, as in cause and effects. It’s also interesting in a way I can relate because I am a smoker of marijuana. I have seen some old friends that I feel like the marijuana has changed them for the worse, which does interest me to find out how it affected them. I already know marijuana use directly affects brain function.  . Last but not least I am knowledgeable about the marijuana spray that alters the appearance and smell of the MJ. Some points that I plan to explore and find out more about, are the effects of Hallucinations, anxiety and feelings of sociability that marijuana might bring.

Source Entry #2

Part 1: MLA Citation 

Davis, Kenneth L., and Mary Jeanne Kreek. “Marijuana Damages Young Brains.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 16 June 2019, www.nytimes.com/2019/06/16/opinion/marijuana-brain-effects.html. 

Part 2: Summary

The op-ed “Marijuana Damages Young Brains.” by Kenneth L Davis, and Mary Jeanne Kreek is about marijuana’s possible effects on the brain and if it should be legal under the age of 25, especially in adolescents. According to the writer, adolescents’ intellectual growth may be negatively impacted by marijuana use, which can affect executive function, processing speed, memory, attention span, and concentration. Davis & Kreek mention that the adolescent brain is especially prone to the effects of marijuana because, up until the age of 25, the prefrontal cortex, which manages impulsivity, judgment, and decision-making, continues to develop in adolescents and young adults. The writer emphasizes the outcomes of legalizing marijuana on general well-being for adolescents. The writers used an example of a study that shows the damage of the brain through an I.Q test, adolescents who regularly smoked marijuana every week had a substantial I.Q. loss over a 25-year period, according to researchers who followed the participants from adolescence to age 38.  Davis & Kreek conclude by explaining that because marijuana is such a common thing nowadays, it does not make it safe for college and high school students. They also state that the people should regulate the cannabis industry to protect the brains of those who are still developing. 

Part 3: Rhetorical Analysis 

The Primary audience is medical experts, policymakers and those who use or are thinking about using marijuana; the secondary audience is the general reading public. The purpose is to inform and educate the public on this topic while giving research and expert opinions. The writing style of the text is persuasive and credible.They employ an informative tone. Davis & Kreek uses the appeal of logos by uplifting its claim with research and stats. They included I.Q tests over a 25 year span, they also broke down and found an understanding that the main chemical that affects people in marijuana was THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol). Davis & Kreek’s credibility is solidified because of their use of research and sources such as American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), specialist opinions provide reliable perspectives as well. The authors employ pathos in the op-ed by evoking feelings and emotions into the reader by describing the risk and effects of consuming marijuana under the age of twenty five. The New York Times is a trustworthy source since they are known for their well-researched writing, skilled reporters, and availability to various sources on a given subject. This article was written June 16, 2019. The information in this op-ed may be outdated.

Part 4: Notables Quotables

“The risk that marijuana use poses to adolescents today is far greater than it was 20 or 30 years ago, because the marijuana grown now is much more potent.”(Davis & Kreek)

“In the early 1990s, the average THC content of confiscated marijuana was roughly 3.7 percent. By contrast, a recent analysis of marijuana for sale in Colorado’s authorized dispensaries showed an average THC content of 18.7 percent.”(Davis & Kreek)

“While society may consider a 21-year-old to be an adult, the brain is still developing at that age. States that legalize marijuana should set a minimum age of no younger than 25.”(Davis & Kreek)

“Simply because society has become more accepting of marijuana use doesn’t make it safe for high school and college students. Cigarettes and alcohol, both legal, have caused great harm in society as well as to people’s health, and have ruined many lives. Marijuana may do the same. We must tightly regulate the emerging cannabis industry to protect the developing brain.”    (Davis & Kreek)

1 thought on “RAB Source Entry 2 –E”

1. My research question is: How does marijuana affect the adolescent mind? This topic interests me because there are so many different debates on this topic, as in cause and effects. It’s also interesting in a way I can relate because I am a smoker of marijuana. I have seen some old friends who have been changed for the worse by the marijuana has changed them for the worse. I am interested to find out how it affected them academic wise, as well as how it affected their physical appearance and mental health. I already know marijuana use directly affects brain function. TWO MORE THINGS YOU ALREADY KNOW. Something new legalization and easy access for young ppl. I am knowledgeable about the marijuana spray that alters the appearance and smell of the marijuana. Some points that I plan to explore and find out more about, are the effects of Hallucinations, anxiety and feelings of sociability that marijuana might bring.