RAB Proposal Paragraph – Raul

My research question is: How do certain behavioral patterns from childhood affect people who later on become serial killers? 

My research question is: How do certain behavioral patterns from childhood affect people who later become serial killers? This topic interests me because I have always wondered about the long-term effects of childhood trauma and if I share similar traits with them. I’ve also done a lot of reading and writing about this topic. For example, Jeffrey Dahmer is an infamous serial killer who went on a killing spree from 1978 to 1991. Jeffrey experienced a lack of attention from his parents, grew up in an argumentative household, and faced abandonment issues as well. I shared a trait with him: abandonment because, at one point in life, I felt like my siblings and even my friends abandoned me. I also felt like I lacked attention as a kid because nobody made time for me and everybody was so busy, so I was pretty much alone throughout my childhood. I even grew up in an argumentative household as a kid, and it was very traumatizing for me because remembering them and envisioning them were scary. Sometimes it would give me nightmares. I already know that a lot of serial killers have a long history of abuse and neglect; this typically includes physical abuse, emotional abuse, and sexual abuse.

Another thing is that some children engage in animal cruelty at a young age, which is a warning sign and could develop into bothersome behaviors later on in their lives. Another important factor to take into consideration is that if the family is very dysfunctional, such as through criminality, substance abuse, or mental illness, it could lead the child to have antisocial tendencies. What I would like to know more about this topic is: what are some cultural and social factors that impact childhood trauma? What are some of the long-term effects of certain individuals who have experienced childhood trauma, such as emotional factors? and their social lives. Last but not least, how does childhood trauma influence the brain?

“ Psychiatrists caution that there is no one type of youthful killer. But murderous children often come from families where they see or experience much violence.”

Nelson, Bryce. “Children Who Kill: Personality Patterns Are Identified.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 11 Oct. 1983, www.nytimes.com/1983/10/11/science/children-who-kill-personality-patterns-are-identified.html. 

2 thoughts on “RAB Proposal Paragraph – Raul”

1. The reason I genuinely enjoy this topic so much is that I’m fascinated by everything psychological or related to serial killers. That’s what I suppose happens when you watch “Criminal Minds” through all 15 seasons repeatedly. Should you haven’t seen it, “Criminal Minds” is a TV show, that often dives into the psychological bases of criminal behavior, including the ways in which specific childhood traumas can shape the minds of those who go on to commit serial killings. A person’s psychological development can be greatly impacted by situations such as upbringing, family dynamics, trauma, abuse, and neglect, in addition to genetic and biological components that may contribute to a person’s tendency for particular behaviors. In the case of serial killers, early exposure to violence or abuse, a lack of emotional attachment or empathy, animal brutality, social isolation, and feelings of rejection or alienation are some common childhood behavioral patterns that are frequently studied. If you want to learn more or gain a better understanding of how specific childhood behaviors influence people who go on to become serial killers, you should consider watching a few episodes of the show. When you’re done, I can’t wait to read your paper.