Tips for college success – Ethan Torres

Tip 6: “Get to know your professors” really speaks to me because in the past I never cared to get to know my teachers because I always thought that it wouldn’t matter if my teachers got to know me or not. Reading this tip really gives me the motivation to get to know my professors because it shows that I care about my education and that I want to do well in the class.  This is also my first semester in college, so getting to know my professors will help me better transition into the college environment since they know a lot, that I’ve still yet to endure. I really care about college, and it is a real blessing I’ve made it this far because a lot of people in my family never made it to college so I know this is something I shouldn’t take for granted. In the past I would be afraid to ask questions and ask for help with assignments I’ve struggled with; Now I want to make an effort to go to office hours or workshops and be determined to focus on my studies. In the end, college is preparing me for future so getting to know my professors will benefit myself in this semester and for more semesters to come.

Tip 3: “Participate”. Participating in class really stands out to me because I feel it’s a way to showcase my knowledge on the subject at hand and gives me an opportunity to ask questions. In high school I had a very hard time participating because I had a lot of anxiety and would care a lot if I messed up on a reading or got a question wrong. Starting this semester, it has been my goal to participate and share my knowledge in class. I want to put my self out there no matter if I get the question wrong or not. I want to have a great college experience and part of having a great college experience is not being afraid to speak up and let my ideas be heard. Participating is also a way to show how much you care about your education, and I look forward to showing that this semester.

1 thought on “Tips for college success – Ethan Torres”

1. I totally understand being afraid to ask questions. Believe it or not, I too suffer from this. When I am in a meeting with other colleagues (everyone smart and professional) I too have anxiety of asking questions out loud. Will I look stupid? I have had to push myself to just ask. Probably someone else also needs to hear things clarified. I am sure I am not the only one who didn’t “get it.”

Yes participate more!