Mentor Text Analysis – Wendbenedo

William Siu’s “I Make Video Games. I Won’t Let My Daughter Play Them” it’s an op-ed that begins by hooking audiences with a personal anecdote about his daughter asking why she can’t play her video games. It immediately engages the reader and makes them curious about the author’s point of view. The text integrates research by referring to studies and experts in the field of video game addiction. The author also provides historical context by mentioning the evolution of video games and how they became increasingly addictive. The text incorporates storytelling through the use of personal anecdotes and what-if scenarios. The visuals are minimal, with only one image accompanying the article. The structure of the text is clearly described with an introduction, several body paragraphs, and a conclusion.  The main audience seems to be parents and people interested in video game addiction. The text ends with a call to action for parents to monitor their children’s video game use. Siu’s message is that video game addiction is a real problem and parents must take proactive steps to prevent it.

1 thought on “Mentor Text Analysis – Wendbenedo”