RAB Source Entry 1 – Ahsan

Part 1: MLA Citation 

Dias, Elizabeth. “Muslim Americans’ ‘Seismic Change’.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 8 Sept. 2021, https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/08/us/9-11-american-muslims.html?searchResultPosition=1

Part 2: Summary  

In “Muslim Americans’ ‘Seismic Change.” by Elizabeth Dias. Dias describes how 9/11 affected Muslims in US society. The aftermath of 9/11 brought a seismic change for American Muslims. Muslims and Islamic communities have faced discrimination and violence towards them. 4 days after 9/11 a man, Balbir Singh Sodhi who wore a turban, was shot to death at a gas station by a man who wrongly assumed he was Muslim. Asmaa Abdeldaeim, 19, recalls being born into a world without belonging. Every year she hoped the 9/11 anniversary would be on a weekend, so she did not have to be in school feeling embarrassed as she is the only Muslim in her class.  

Part 3: Reflection 

In this article I feel like I need to research more on how people treated Muslims throughout the years. Although I want to know why the author kept expressing this catastrophe in every paragraph saying 20 years ago? I feel like the author could’ve gone more in depth on how it was a “seismic change” for American Muslims. I selected this source hoping to learn something that can connect to my research; “Why do Muslims still face discrimination in the United States?” However, it only covered a fraction. I have yet more to learn about this topic. 

Part 4: Rhetorical Analysis 

The genre of this source is informative. The author discusses the events and background that changed American Muslim life.  The author uses pathos to express the pain and trauma Muslims had to endure during that time.  The author Elizabeth Dias published her article on The New York Times which is a credible source that is also reliable.  

Part 5: Notable Quotes 

“When Sylvia Chan-Malik reflects on the aftermath of Sept. 11, she has two starkly different personal memories from the trauma. 

She recalls the strangers’ yelling epithets at her and her young daughters on their way to Eid prayers” 

“In 2016, Americans elected a president with an anti-Muslim platform, and a surge in violence against American Muslims led a rise in hate crimes against all groups.” 

“Sept. 11 brought about a “seismic change” for American Muslims’ personal psychological existence, said Farah Pandith, adjunct senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, who served as the country’s first special representative to Muslim communities in 2009. All at once, what it meant to be Muslim was defined by other people, she said, and persistent hostility took a tremendous mental health toll.”