Reading Response to Malcolm X Esha

A quote that I found important was “I have often reflected upon the new vistas that reading opened to me. I knew right there in prison that reading had changed forever the course of my life. As I see it today, the ability to read awoke inside me is some long dormant craving to be mentally alive”. The first sentence means that while he was in prison on the other side he could see another scenery that was way beyond his imagination. The second line conveys that he gained confidence and a different view on the world as a result of reading. He read books in prison that helped him feel like he wasn’t there most of the time. The last sentence would indicate that he was capable of making decisions without the help of others and that it had been a difficult journey for him in prison.

1 thought on “Reading Response to Malcolm X Esha”

1. Esha — Look at Feb 4 Announcements to see my explanation of how to do this type of HW task. Also I discussed in class.

Please pay attention in class when I choose quotes that are significatn from the reading. I am showing everyone how to read carefully.

In your chosen quote, this line: “I have often reflected upon the new vistas that reading opened to me.” Malcolm X is not talking about seeing another scenery beyond his imagination, as you say.

You should translate this as: I have often thought upon the new avenues of knowledge that reading opened to me.