RAB Source Entry #1 – Zoila

Research Question – How does drinking coffee at a young age affect our long-term health?

Proposal- this topic interests me, because I’m a freshmen college student who tremendously increased their coffee intake. I went from not knowing how to order a coffee to knowing how many espressos shot I want in my ice latte. Another reason this topic interests me is because with a huge increase in coffee I saw how this affected my overall health.  I noticed that my body grew tolerant to coffee, and I needed more than one ice latte to at least be a functional human being. I constantly wonder “why coffee has affected me this way in such a short time?”. I already know that coffee can be addictive, but I never thought how drinking more than one cup of coffee or latte could affect my mental and physical health at the young age of 18. I want to find out why the amount of coffee we drink plays a big role in our long-term health.

Part 1 – MLA Citation

Mackeen, Dawn. “Is Coffee Good for You?” The New York Times, The New York Times, 13 Feb. 2020, www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/style/self-care/coffee-benefits.html.

Part 2 – Summary

In the article “Is Coffee Good For You?”, Dawn Mackeen tell us how the amount of coffee affect our health more then we think. For some people it can cause anxiousness and jitteriness, but for others it can help them concentrate and be focused. Having multiple cups of coffee, a day can increase our tolerance over time and cause our body to want higher doses of caffeine in our coffee. For instance, an espresso shot has the highest concentration of caffeine but is mostly consumed in smaller quantities. which are usually added to lattes. With drinking higher doses of caffeine daily, one withdrawal symptoms can include fatigue, difficulty concentrating and depressed mood. However higher doses of caffeine lead to caffeine intoxication, shakiness, nervousness, and irregular heartbeat. Mackeen also states how drinking less coffee can help with gastroesophageal reflux as well.

Part 3 -Reflection

I agree with Mackeen that coffee can boost your mood, energy, and concentration, but that’s what makes coffee so addictive.  The more we drink coffee, the more we rely on it and the harder it gets for us to stop drinking it. I personally know that drinking an ice latte before my classes helps me concentrate and wakes me up. It’s the same reason why I drink it daily. However, it does affect my mood and the way I think when I don’t drink an ice latte before school. I suddenly feel more tired, irritated and overall, my body feels way more exhausted throughout the day.  Yes, coffee helps you now, but long-term coffee isn’t the best solution.  I’ve come to the realization that coffee is a momentary solution and too many as well.  Maybe young teens shouldn’t drink as much coffee as we do. But how can we not drink coffee when it is so easily accessible to us. Cutting down coffee or just not drinking coffee at all is easier said than done, when drinking coffee is a big part of your daily routine.

Part 4 – Rhetorical Analysis

Mackeen is an award-winning journalist and the author of “The Hundred-Year Walk: The Armenian Odyssey”. Her work has appeared in the New York Times Magazine, Elle, The Sunday Times Magazine (London), The Los Angeles Times, and elsewhere. Mackeen audience is the public, she wants to inform us why coffee is good for most of us and why for some it’s not. She writes this article to educate us on how important the amount of coffee we consume daily affects our short- and long-term health.  The research done in this article proves how human consumption of coffee increased throughout the years and the health concerns that come with the huge increase in coffee consumption. With this article being published in 2020, it is still relatively current. The research she provided in this article is still relevant today. This Article has been published by a well-established newspaper in New York; “The New York Times.” This validates that she is a credible and reliable source.

Part 5 – Notable Quotables

“Espresso has the highest concentration of caffeine, packing about 70 milligrams into a one-ounce shot, but is consumed in smaller quantities.” (Mackeen)

“Evidence suggests there can be a reliance on the drink, and tolerance builds over time. Withdrawal symptoms include a headache, fatigue, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and depressed mood.” (Mackeen)

“About a half-hour after sipping a cup of joe, the caffeine kicks in, and is quickly absorbed. Blood vessels constrict. Blood pressure increases” (Mackeen)

“A moderate amount of caffeine can wake you up, boost your mood, energy, alertness, concentration and even athletic performance.” (Mackeen)

“ Higher doses can lead to caffeine intoxication, with its shakiness, nervousness, and irregular heartbeat.”

“Cutting down coffee may help with gastroesophageal reflux,” (Mackeen)

2 thoughts on “RAB Source Entry #1 – Zoila”

1. This topic is very interesting to read and you explained everything clearly. In the proposal paragraph the first letter needs to be capitalized. Also, maybe consider using the sentence starters the professor provided because I think she wanted us to use it but other than that you did very well.

2. I agree with you because, ever since I started college, my coffee intake has increased as well. I never used to even like coffee until college. Without coffee, I feel sleepy and irritated. With coffee, I’m energetic and more upbeat. I enjoyed reading this because I can agree with it, and I also learned something about the negative effects coffee can have in the long run.