RAB Proposal Paragraph – Dylan

My research question is: How does music and social media affect gang violence in New York City?

This topic interests me because over the years I’ve been witnessing gang violence get worse. I have also noticed music is getting more and more disrespectful, not only in my area, but all over New York. It seems like wherever violence goes music follows, or vice versa. The music brings attention and even glorifies some of the violence happening to young people. I know that people like lyrics about guns and violence, so they gravitate towards the people rapping. But why do people actually admire artists who commit crimes? I know that people like to feel that they are a part of the artists’ conflict, but lyrics idolize violence. It is becoming a competition to see who can be the rudest. The controversy attracts consumers, and they start taking sides like they really know these people. I know that the artists are signed by multimillion dollar companies that monetize off of the violence. The rappers that become successful influence others to rap about violence, which results in an endless cycle of violence and trauma throughout communities, making kids dying and going to jail at ages as young as 13. I plan to research why people admire artists who commit crimes, how social media affects gang violence, and how social media and music lead to arrest and incarceration of gang members.

4 thoughts on “RAB Proposal Paragraph – Dylan”

1. Hi Dylan, I do agree with what you’ve seen. I too have heard a lot of violence being endorsed within music. I do find it interesting that you want to research why people want their favorite rappers to commit crimes. I do look forward to reading your R.A.B essay and seeing what you come up with.