Practice Reflection – Belinda

I agree with the information that the author presented in the article because I feel like I also had a similar experience in school where most of my elementary teachers would also push away my questions and say something like “This is not the time to be asking questions.” or “Not now, Belinda.” Growing up, I was really curious and tended to ask a lot of questions like “Why is that object like that?” or “Why does this work the way it is?” I asked a lot of hows and whys. But as I grew older, I just stopped asking questions because I feel like whatever I have something to ask about, they don’t feel as important as school topics. So I just feel like it was pretty interesting to read about what Wendy Berliner said about how school is killing kids’ curiosity and to know that I’m not alone because I never realized how there’s other kids that went through the same thing until I read her article.

2 thoughts on “Practice Reflection – Belinda”

1. Hi Belinda, I like that you mention the last point that many students also went through the same thing as you did until you read Berliner’s article. We often recognize the question as an individual or minority but aren’t conscious that others in the world can also face the same issue. Something I want to suggest is that you may minimize the first sentence by getting rid of “I feel like” to have a nicer flow of that sentence. It also provides the certainty of a similar situation that you have faced before. Also, that first sentence might be separated into two sentences after you stated “…because I also had a similar experience in school.” Hope this comment helps, but you can always keep your own thoughts.

2. I agree because my teachers always told me it was never any time for questions. The teachers made me feel like being curious wasn’t as important as getting good grades. I rarely asked questions since it was alpha overlooked and not really an importance. Wendy Berliner’s article was also interesting to me as well because I relate to a lot of the things that was pointed out.