Writing Task Resilience — Joshua A.

I. Intro- Hard going up with African

II. In Social Studies class

III. Scene with a Kid in my class

IV. The realization

Being African growing up was challenging due to the fact people only believed Africans have no water or they speak “African.” I would always brush it off and never really mind it. I remember when I was in 7th-grade social studies class around 11 in the morning, the class hadn’t started yet. We were waiting for the teacher to begin the lesson and hand out the assignments. This kid named Chris thought it was funny to say, “Joshua, I know you have no water, do you have water.” He only knew I was African because of my last name, I froze and thought he just wanted attention from the class.  I didn’t say much because we were in class, and I didn’t want to feed into the nonsense, and I was trying to focus and get my education.

Knowing I was one of the 5 only Africans in a school of mixed Caribbean cultures, I thought I would fit right in because we were all black. But the single story about Africans stuck with the kids. They didn’t know better, and I didn’t blame them because most of them hadn’t gotten the chance to experience life outside of New York. Most of the stuff they said made me uncomfortable but I didn’t let it get to me seriously. 

2 thoughts on “Writing Task Resilience — Joshua A.”

1. Work on CS — Comma Splice sentence errors.
    2. Choose places to create a scene with details and with dialogue. 

[JUMP RIGHT IN AND START HERE AND CREATE A SCENE] I remember when I was in 7th-grade social studies class around 11 in the morning, the class hadn’t started yet. We were waiting for the teacher to begin the lesson and hand out the assignments. What were the kids doing? More description?

This kid named Chris [DESCRIBE him] thought it was funny to say, “Joshua, I know you have no water, do you have water.” He only knew I was African because of my last name, [CLARIFY — WHAT is your name?]

ADD MORE HERE – What did the others say? Did they laugh? Or stare? Was there silence? Did someone come to your defense? WHAT HAPPENED?

I froze and thought he just wanted attention from the class.  I didn’t say much [Describe your inner thoughts or feelings of  being “uncomfortable”] because we were in class, and I didn’t want to feed into the nonsense. I would always brush it off and never really mind it.

and I was trying to focus and get my education.

YOU NEED TO WRITE MORE!

Please study the student example essay Ed Narrative by Amadou. Maybe your topic is similar.