Writing Task: Saved – Belinda

In the summer of 2023, I started my very first job at the age of 18 with no experience whatsoever. I was a waitress at a family restaurant in North Carolina. My parents thought that I was incapable of doing the job because of how I act around people. Sometimes I’ll catch an attitude if someone decides to stare at me longer than usual or if they give me an attitude cause I’m not afraid to give one back. I am really shy, very quiet whenever people talk to me, I get awkward in conversation and basically my parents thought I had no social skills. They do have little, just a little glimmer of hope in me. I told them “Just give me some time to adjust and get a feel of working as a waitress. I know you know that I can’t just magically know how to do things so quickly in something I have never done before.” Before I was even a waitress, I was a host for a bit where I just guided people to their table and asked them what they would like to drink and then write it down on the notepad. I feel like this position was pretty easy. Just need to do three simple steps. That’s until I got switched to being a waitress.

I’ve observed the other waitresses before I became one. And the other waitresses there, they were extremely welcoming and offered to teach me and helped me along the way cause I was really shy at first while interacting with the customers and were sometimes lost on what I needed to do. However there was this one waitress, she’s been working there for about 6-7 years. She’s about 5 ‘3 and is probably in her early to mid 40’s. She had her red to brownish hair in a ponytail, she was wearing those black flare leggings with a black t-shirt with the dangling butterfly earrings. In such a short span of time, she made me feel comfortable and reassured me that it’s okay if I’m having a rough start as a waitress because I’m still learning as I go and am new to the experience. She was always around whenever I needed help. I thought to myself, “Hm, I definitely got this. I’m capable of doing this job.” I was coming in 5-6 times a week working from 9am-5pm. As weeks went by, I eventually got way better at the job but I obviously wouldn’t say I’m a professional at it. My parents later on realized I wasn’t as bad as they thought and was actually quite impressed. I was proud of myself that I was able to prove them wrong and even made them proud of me. With all the support and help from my peers, I was able to get out of my comfort zone, be able to talk with customers and be a good waitress.

3 thoughts on “Writing Task: Saved – Belinda”

1. My parents felt the same way when I started my job. They know how easily I can catch an attitude with someone when I feel disrespected, even for the littlest things. One thing that customers do that really works me up is when I have my hand out for them to put their money in, but they just slam it on the counter. My dad always tells me it’s not that serious, but to me, that’s a form of disrespect. I can be a little shy, but after a while, I love to talk. It’s always nice to have someone at work who makes you comfortable and is always there to help out. I’m happy that you got out of your comfort zone.

2. Growing up I was always shy to speak to others as well. I had felt as if they would get the wrong impression of me. Stepping out of your comfort zone is a huge step for some and I find it amazing that you were able to do so. I find that with your parents doubting you, you were able to use that as motivation and show them how strong you are. I’m glad that you were able to accomplish your goal of being a great waitress and getting out of your comfort zone. I hope that these newly acquired attributes can help you strive and set new goals for yourself.