Peer Mentor – Dylan M.

Over the years my mom has inspired me to be better a countless number of times. Although my dad still helps her and has always been a constant in my life since I was born, he doesn’t live with me. I watched my mom rise in the ranks of her company and go from being a newly registered nurse to being one of the top Nurse case managers in her department. She put her life on hold in order to gain an education so she could provide for us. She was the first person in our family to graduate with a bachelor’s degree. She graduated from LIU when I was 7 and she was 32, then immediately started searching for jobs. 

Last summer I was feeling down because I had failed to get a job even though I had been applying for jobs and getting interviews. I felt bad because I feel like she already did so much, I wanted to be able to get a job to support myself so she can focus on more important things. Like investing her money, saving for the new house and car she wants & paying the rent. By the time senior year started I was visibly distressed, she noticed and told me “Nothing in life worth having comes easy, in order to move forward you need to keep being consistent and resilient.” These words stuck with me because over the years I have seen my mom try her absolute hardest to do her best at becoming successful. From balancing a job, college and a Kid, to working and thriving, to making sure that we stay active and healthy. I feel like she and my dad have set a great example for me, and it would be a shame if I let them down. 

1 thought on “Peer Mentor – Dylan M.”

1. PLEASE FIX THE TITLE! It’s very important to follow instructions carefully or I will not be able to find your work in my list of HWs to be graded.