Intro – Dylan Merchant

My name is Dylan Merchant, and I am a first-year student at NYC Tech. I have family everywhere in NYC, but I have lived in Brooklyn all my life. Most of my family is either Jamaican, American or Antiguan. My great grandma lived in North Carolina until she got pregnant with my grandma and my great aunt. They moved from Virginia to Dc and then finally to Manhattan. She had 4 other children and lived in Harlem from 1962 to 2022. My Grandma and Grandpa on my mom’s side were both born and raised in Jamaica, and my grandpa on my dad’s side is from Antigua. Despite being from these places I have only been to Jamaica once, and I have never been to Antigua before. I hope that I can travel more and actually experience my culture again. It makes no sense because I have traveled a lot to multiple other Caribbean countries plenty of times, whether it was trips with families or a day long visit on a cruise ship. For example, I been to Barbados four times in the past six years.  

My favorite past-times are watching movies, playing video games, or going to the gym. Some of my favorite movies are Casino, Fight Club, Raging bull, & Gone Girl. I love movies because I don’t have to sit through endless episodes waiting for it to get good, and if I don’t like I don’t have to waste too much time on it. I’m an only child so for most of my life, it was only me and my mom until her and my aunt bought a house together. I live with my cousin now but growing up I always wanted a sibling. I was born in September, so I am a Virgo. My favorite season is fall because I feel It’s when I can dress the best and the weather is perfect. My favorite sport is basketball, and I have played it all my life. I love music and my favorite artists at the moment are Lucki & Veeze 

(Robert De NIro & Joe Pesci in Raging bull)