Writing Task Mentor Quote- Dhanesh

“Go to school, do the right thing, learn from your mistakes and prove them all wrong”

Hearing this from my cousin made me feel as if I wasn’t alone and more relaxed. Growing up, having immigrant parents always added on more stress. Not only that but having family who looked forward to you getting your degree was even more annoying and stressful. This meant that in their eyes, certain things weren’t enough or if you made a couple bad decisions, you would be looked down on. Even to that, they always expected you to be the best and the brightest in the class. If you had came home with anything less than a 90 on a test or exam, they would start saying, “Look at so and so’s kids and look at they’re grades. Why cant you be like them?”. Hearing this always made me feel down and some type of way because I always had the mindset that parents are supposed to be there for you and uplift you no matter what. Sooner or later, my perspective began to change.

I began hanging out with my cousins maybe halfway into my junior year. As I began to hang out with them more I started to learn new things. There was always my one cousin who looked out for me since he knew how it felt to be in the same position. He told me if I ever needed someone to talk to or help with anything I can call him. Whiles having our first conversation, he told me ” You know, everyone is different. Just because one person might exceed at something doesn’t mean you’ll be as equally good as that person.”. This influenced me to do the best I could do in school. As time went on, I found myself surrounding myself with others who experienced the same situations and tried to help each other improve the skills we lacked. Later on down the road, I found that I grew as a person meaning that I became more mature, ignored the negative comments, did the best I could, and found myself doing the one thing that would prove everyone wrong.

3 thoughts on “Writing Task Mentor Quote- Dhanesh”

1. I also mostly talk with my cousin about things related to school and life because in my parents eyes a degree and job is all that matters. Its good to always have someone to fall back on if ever needed help with any life decisions that your parent might not understand.

2. I agree with what your cousins said because school is the foundation of everything. You need to learn to live in this world. I liked that your cousin said if you need someone he is there for you. That really shows family is always there for help.

3. Think the 5W’s.

Think SCENE development.

OK — if you choose to develop this into your Ed Narrative, you need to find places that would make a good scene.

Here is one place: If you had came home with anything less than a 90 on a test or exam, they would start saying, “Look at so and so’s kids and look at they’re grades. Why cant you be like them?”

Could you turn this into a scene with dialogue. SHOW me your immigrant Indian household and your parents saying this to you. WHERE? in the living room? WHEN? after you get your report card? HOW did you reply? HOW did you feel inside — your inner thoughts? Make it dramatic and (for those of us who have immigrant Asian parents — it can even be a little funny. This is a stereotype of Asian parents that is just so TRUE!

Then you could SHOW me a struggle in your school life. Were you failing math in 11th grade?

SHOW me another scene of the time your cousin gave you that supportive talk: Whiles having our first conversation, he told me ” You know, everyone is different. Just because one person might exceed at something doesn’t mean you’ll be as equally good as that person.”.  WHERE? WHO? WHAT’s his name? DESCRIBE this cousin.

You need to CLARIFY and give CSD — Concrete Specific Details: This influenced me to do the best I could do in school. As time went on, I found myself surrounding myself with others who experienced the same situations and tried to help each other improve the skills we lacked.  THIS IS ALL A LITTLE VAGUE!

Could the focus of this story be — the hardship of having immigrant parents and their influence on you as a student? Is this a story you want to explore?