RAB Source Entry 1 – Joshua Ferdinand (Updated)

Part 1 – MLA Citation

Citation- Turner, Cory. “6 Things We’ve Learned about How the Pandemic Disrupted Learning.” NPR, NPR, 22 June 2022, https://www.npr.org/2022/06/22/1105970186/pandemic-learning-loss-findings.  https://www.npr.org/2022/06/22/1105970186/pandemic-learning-loss-findings 

Graphic Organizer

Main Idea – Many students lost lots of education during the COVID 19 pandemic with online schooling.  

Supporting detail 1 Supporting detail 2  Supporting detail 3 
Most schools and teachers had little to no experience with remote instruction. When the pandemic began; they lacked teacher training, appropriate software, Laptops, universal internet access, in many cases students lacked stability and supportive adult at home to help.   Most students lacked the work space, internet access, some were even emotionally detached to themselves because they had to get a job some even had to become a caretaker   In high-property schools were hit the hardest because they were most likely to experience food insecurity, Homelessness and even lost loved ones to COVID 19   

Part 2 – Summary

Covid 19 has put many students in a difficult situation. With home learning. Students have recently suffered the greatest loss of learning. Some students learned nothing, while others learned very little. However, when they were remotes, all students learned less than when they were present. The Covid 19 pandemic affected everyone, but children in high property schools were hit the hardest. They had to deal with more than just grades; they had to deal with real adult responsibilities like getting a job and becoming caregivers. This had a significant impact on students’ desire to finish high school and attend college. Entry rates for recent high school graduates into four-year colleges fell by 6%. The four year colleges fell by 16%.  

Part 3 – Reflection

I agree that students suffered significant learning loss. This is because many students and educators lacked the necessary training for online learning. Many children do not have access to Wi-Fi, laptop computers, appropriate software, or a caring adult at home. I should know because I was one of the children who had to deal with some of these difficulties. I didn’t have the laptop I needed, nor did I have Wi-Fi to stay connected. I had a good foundation because my mother and grandmother at home kept me on track and motivated me to keep going. But for most students that wasn’t the case. They had to become care takers and go get jobs like some of the people I used to be friends with. They had to grow up not because they wanted to but because they had to. Some of their family was going to get evicted and they refused to lose their home. Which is completely understandable because who wants to lose their home especially in a time like that. Some questions I have are. How did the pandemic affect the more than How did the pandemic affect the more than 50 million K-12 students in America?

The genre of Cory Turner’s article “6 Things We’ve Learned About How The Pandemic Disrupted Learning” is an informative piece of writing. Cory Turner’s article is aimed at the parents of students who struggled during the pandemic. He accomplishes this by compiling a list of the challenges that often affect students, such as insufficient training to transition to remote learning. Going even further, some children are reluctant to pursue higher education since they must work and provide for their families. Cory Turner utilizes this genre to inform people that the student did, in fact, suffer from a learning disability. Since it comes from National Public Radio, this source is trustworthy and reliable. According to the Pew Research Center, “NPR” does indeed have a comparable level of audience’s trust as “CNN” and “ABC.” In accordance with a Harris telephone survey conducted in 2005, NPR is considered the most trusted source of information in the United States.

Part 4 – Notable Quotables

“Most schools and teachers had little to no experience with remote instruction. When the pandemic began; they lacked teacher training, appropriate software, Laptops, universal internet access, in many cases students lacked stability and supportive adult at home to help.”

“Most students lacked the work space, internet access, some were even emotionally detached to themselves because they had to get a job some even had to become a caretaker.”

“In high-property schools were hit the hardest because they were most likely to experience food insecurity, Homelessness and even lost loved ones to COVID 19.”

2 thoughts on “RAB Source Entry 1 – Joshua Ferdinand (Updated)”

1. Good for you Joshua!

Now a couple of things and we will talk in class more.

You have miswritten — high POVERTY is the term.

AND each of the 6 points should be turned in to a sentence for your SUmmary. The last point is very important — the difference that tutoring can make in the outcomes for these students who had learning loss. This would be a good point to also reflect upon in Part 3 Reflection Part.

I found this was an important point from the sixth point and should be paraphrased into your summary:

“The message clearly was ‘just show up,’ ” says Douglas Harris, the study’s lead researcher and director of the National Center for Research on Education Access and Choice at Tulane University.

“So it became pretty easy,” Harris says. “Anybody who was on the margin of graduating at that point was going to graduate because the states officially relaxed their standards.”

Ovewrall — KUDOS to you for getting this done! I still need you to work with the tutors!