Reading Response RLW and FDouglass–Ikechukwu Okoro

Part A “…you are trying to understand how the piece of writing was put together by the author and what you can learn about writing by reading a particular text.” When people read usually its to grasp the content of the writing instead of analyzing the structure of it and the why behind why it is written the way it is.

Part B “I would at times feel that learning to read had been a curse rather than a blessing. It had given me a view of my wretched condition, without the remedy. It opened my eyes to the horrible pit, but to no ladder upon which to get out.” Paragraph 6 pg 3.This quote shows one of the most detrimental results Douglass stumbled upon while reading. Douglass refers to him learning to read as a curse rather than a blessing because although he was able to further his understanding of the speech used by his oppressors, he also understood his position in their system and his hope for his position as a slave to change deteriorated. Reason being was that as Douglass read he understood that that was the way life was lived and that there was nothing he could do about it since he held little to no power. Douglass furthering his knowledge on his position made the idea of freedom feel like it was unattainable.

1 thought on “Reading Response RLW and FDouglass–Ikechukwu Okoro”