Faculty Name | Section | Semester

Teachers

In both readings for today, the authors had to find teachers outside of the traditionally expected places. Frederick Douglass “converts” the poor white boys in town into teachers, while Malcolm X, in his “homemade education” turns the authors of books — and the books themselves — into his teachers.

Outside of school, who are your teachers? Where have you found them? How did you find them? And how have they helped you learn?

1. Megan

Outside of school i think my family are my teachers, especially my parents. Nobody knows me better than them. They offer great advice, listen, help with problem solving and ive learned alot. They offer different outlooks on life and calm me down when i get frustrated

• Yenny Jimenez

out side of the school I could said that my sisters and friends serve as teachers to me in personal situations. Also I think that Tik Tok is a good fountain of resources where I can any teacher about anything, from mathematics, economic, or history, to basics thing like cooking, cleaning singing, etc. Sometimes I research for information in TikTok but majority of the time the information comes to me when Iā€™m using the app and when I need an advice I just ask to my friends or my sister. They help me to grow as a person but also emotionally. While Tik Tok it helping me to grow academically.

• Yenny Jimenez

out side of the school I could said that my sisters and friends serve as teachers to me in personal situations. Also I think that Tik Tok is a good fountain of resources where I can any teacher about anything, from mathematics, economic, or history, to basics thing like cooking, cleaning singing, etc. Sometimes I research for information in TikTok but majority of the time the information comes to me when Iā€™m using the app and when I need an advice I just ask to my friends or my sister. They help me to grow as a person but also emotionally. While the application it helping me to grow academically.

2. Liubov N

Teachers and valuable lessons are around us, only if we let them in. Only if we take a moment and analyse the situation, you can get a lesson out of any circumstances, only if your eyes and mind are open.

My biggest teacher is my daughter. She thought me how cool is to lay on the floor and do nothing, she knows the only one and correct way of eating raspberries, you need to put a one berry on each finger of both hands and eat it of the fingers. Fun!

She showed my that patience has no limit if you love someone. She thought me to be fearless and curious. She inspires me. Madeline is the reason why I writing this words.

3. Lichen Wu Wu

My teachers are my friends and family where I’ve met them during the last years of high school. I actually found them through friend acquaintances and we all connected instantly. They taught me to not take everything harsh and strict on myself and to let myself be loose. I used to be tense and serious when doing school work, chores and things around me but, they told me to relax once in a while because I was pushing myself way too much.

4. Ifetayo-Juni Forrest

I believe some of my most impactful teachers to be people from all walks of life that I’ve found through luck or research on the internet. As a kid most of my time was spent on Youtube and Google, as I started to form as a person I realized I had a lot of questions about the lesser discussed angsts of life, luckily I landed on the pages of compassionate academics like Lindsey Doe or Abigail Thorn, big-hearted creatives like The Game Grumps team, and joyful queer advocates like Miles McKenna and Ash Hardell. Even the man who taught me how to meditate was someone I was first introduced to as a bird from one episode of a stoner cartoon. Thanks to the internet I could connect to countless fonts of world shaping perspective without them even knowing I was their student.

5. andrew2005

Outside of school, my teachers are my friends and family. I met my friends in high school and we still call, text and meet up here and there. They mean a lot to me and have helped me learn so many things in life. They helped me become a better person in life, they give me advice, they call me to simply ask about my day. My family serve as teachers in my life because set an example for me. Through my family, I learned that being hard-working and putting in the effort is very important in life.

6. josephjin

What I personally consider”Teachers” are my life experiences. The choices I make and or the mistakes and triumphs in my life teach me what and what not to do. It’s as if you’re crafting a resume; in short, a put together list of experience and knowledge you have surmounted throughout your lifetime.

7. Tyrell

Outside of school, I would consider my family, friends, and the internet my teachers. My family always gives me advice for everything and always goes out of their way to make me do things or learn things that I don’t wanna do or learn which always find annoying. Those things teach me things that I wouldn’t have known otherwise. My friends are also my teachers because they always give me good advice. Even when they just tell me random things they found on the internet I sometimes find them useful. I would consider the Internet as my teacher because whenever I’m confused about something or need some help with ideas I can always try to search for what I’m looking for. Also when I’m scrolling through my For You Page, going through Reels, or simply just watching a YouTube video about something I like I learn valuable things I didn’t expect.

8. kaylynn

Outside of school I would say my teachers are life itself. I feel you learn as you experience. Often people face hard situation where they learn many things from it. Every bad and good experience has a lesson to it. For example, losing valuable items teaches you responsibility, to learn to keep up with things we value dearly, to not be so careless. Also, parents, our parents are one of our greatest teachers. Parents raise, guide, and prepare you for the real world when you become of age. From young, you learn right from wrong, manners, respect, crucial principles that you need to live life to the fullest.

9. J. Carlos

Teachers

Outside the school, I would say that my teachers are those people I have come across who experienced something I hadn’t, and due to the circumstances, either they taught me or I learned from them. I also consider “teachersā€ sources of knowledge or experiences that I can learn from.

For example, I do consider my grandmother a teacher since she has taught me very useful things, such as cooking. Iā€™m completely sure that besides her and myself, nobody else would have been willing to teach me such a skill.

10. Adil

Outside of school, I believe adults, friends, and family are teachers to me. They’ve taught me many different things because they all have different experiences and they care for you. My family is one of these teachers as listening to them I get experiences of their lives that help me understand what might go on in my life and teach me a new way of thinking. I believe all these teachers including my friends help understand life differently because you get taught by other people’s life experiences.