Faculty Name | Section | Semester

Responsible Research

As we look forward to Unit 3, you will be taking the research done in Unit 2 and translating it into a different genre (a song, a poem, a podcast, an interview, etc.).

In that translation, what responsibility would Langston Hughes say we have to the original material of our research? What responsibility do you, as a researcher and writer, feel you have to your sources?

1. Liubov N

The goal for me would be to stay true. Keeps it light yet informative. Make sure to lay out facts the way majority can comprehend. To not loose focused on topic.

2. andrew2005

Hughes would say we have the responsibility to turn the original material of our research into something that can easily capture the attention of the readers. I feel like it is my goal to take everything I researched about and translate it so that everyone can see why I chose my specific topic. I’m most likely going to do this in the form of a poem.

3. LIV2x

A responsibility we as writers have to our research is dedicating time to pull proper information. For example in the Johannesburg mine poem showed in class if the author would have had the wrong information a different message would have been sent. It is your duty to get your message across but know the background knowledge that comes with said message.

4. Sam bazarov

I guess Langston Hughes would say the responsibility we have is we should get as much as possible same information from our original material and make it into a different genre. I think my responsibility would be to take the information from my original material of my research without changing any meaning of it change the structure to any genre I would want to make it into.

5. Ifetayo-Juni Forrest

The responsibility writers have to their research in my opinion is first and foremost good faith, to take your research seriously by fully readings and digesting what you’ve found in your research and not pick at it out of context to refute senselessly. If you disagree having fully understood the information you plan to use obviously that’s fine but it’s only fair to represent your research the way it was presented to you in order to form your own work.

6. Adil

Langston would say that as a writer we have a responsibility to share the material the right way. I believe that as a researcher and writer, I have to allow people to hear opposing viewpoints and sides that can both intertwine with each other or both that dispute each other.

7. Ali Simmons

I feel like I have to convey their message right. I feel like the message they are trying to get out there is very important and needs to be addressed throughout every writing that used their article. I also feel like we are responsible for giving out the right information too. Another thing is that we need to make sure we give them the credit they deserve.

8. Fabien

The sources I feel like I have as a writer or researcher is being able for the reader to understand from the writers point of view and clarifying what the text says without making it confusing or complicated for the reader.

9. Nadeen

The responsibility I have as a researcher and a writer is to find good strong sources that actually connect to the main idea.

10. J. Carlos

The responsibility I have to my sources as a researcher and writer is in a sense ambiguous, because I have to keep objectivity (as a researcher) even though I disagree or dislike the opinions, facts and sources treated. Telling the truth (whether we like it or not) is essential. However, as a writer, it’s important to provide and state your thoughts on the topic, otherwise I’d find it stark. In short, objectivity telling the truth is as important as subjectivity conveying opinions/feelings.

11. josephjin

Hughes would likely vocalize the importance of staying true to the original text. This means steering clear of twisting the original privy of what is not. As a researcher and writer I have a responsibility to share truths and opinions of what I write, while also considering the arguments on the other hand.

12. megan

We should gather as much information as possible and not steering too far away from the original text

13. Tyrell

What Langston Hughes would say is the responsibility we have to the original material of our research is to gather a lot of information and try not to stray from the original text and give it the credit it deserves. As a researcher and writer, I feel like I should try to have a clear understanding of the information so I don’t confuse the reader or misunderstand what is it saying. I also have to find credible sources that also support my ideas.

14. Yenny Jimenez

I think that I have the responsibility of showing the information as it’s, I should not be subjective in my unit 3 because my classmate deserve to know the real information and not what I think is correct. Also, I think that I have the responsibility of showing the information in a clear and understandable way.

Langston Hughes say that we served as a Chanel by which the information is reveal and we have the responsibility of transmitting that information as it. We should not manipulate it.