Faculty Name | Section | Semester

The Features of Genre

Think of a genre, or subgenre, that you know a lot about. It can be in film, television, music, literature, etc. Try to be as specific as possible.

What are the elements, features, and characteristics of that genre? Think of a specific artists, film, song, etc., and how it exemplifies those features. Tell me everything you know about that genre!!

1. Megan

The genre that i gravitate and relate to the most is grunge. Growing up in the 90s grunge was kind of the rebel thing to be into. Grunge is very moody, deep and emotional. My favorite grunge band and band in general is Alice in Chains. Their music talks about mental struggles dealing with addiction, relapse and recovery. I related to grunge at first as previously mentioned because it was the “rebel” thing to do, as i have gotten older i can actually understand what the lyrics mean and actually relate to them. Music has always been my escape because i am often not great with expressing my emotions. My favorite song is Would? from Alice in Chains. The song is very intense and the lyrics are very deep.

2. josephjin

Drama can consist of romance, action, and mystery themes. Drama as its own genre mainly involves discord between individuals and how either repair that relationship or how the aftermath of said drama effects them. Although I may not watch television I can think of a few examples of drama. One example could be the parting of two characters in a romance film and how they will eventually end up back together.

3. Adil

A genre that I know about are biographical and the sub genre is autobiographical. This genre is both in Books, films, and tv. The elements of biographies is that it is about a persons life. The biography follows the life of the certain individual or individuals and how they became who they are. One specific book and movie is the autobiography of Malcolm X and the movie Malcom X by Spike Lee. The book was written by Malcom X himself with the help of many other writers. It follows his whole life includes writings from other people who were close to Malcolm and the saw his ideals and how he changed into the man he is today. The film follows most of these aspects as it takes from the book obviously with a little embellishment to sell for the masses. Spike read the book and followed mostly everything from there with help from others just like Malcolm did to write the book. This genre can be used from reading books and historical stories. Following the members and people that are familiar with them to get close to them.

4. Mallen12

Im going to talk about the genre Adventure this genre it usually follows storytelling called the Hero’s Journey. where the main answers a call for adventure trains lose gain new power from traveling through “hell” goes the unknown world and repeats

5. Ali Simmons

One genre I know a lot about is action/adventures. The elements of this genre is usually a really strong main character protecting something or someone. They are usually emotionally cut off super cool characters that finish off with one liners. Sometimes they are really smart or really dumb. But when it comes to fighting they are geniuses. Sometimes they lose to another character and learn a life lesson then come back and beat them. Their backstory’s are usually really sad. One film that I can think of is one piece, the main character is really strong but he is dumb. He loves to protect his friends and wants to find a treasure called the one piece. His backstory is sad where he is raised by bandits and gets tortured. One thing he doesn’t follow though is being emotionally cut off he says how he feels and acts on how he feels.

6. Malak

I picked the film “what happened to Monday” it’s under the genre thriller. Some of the elements that goes into filming this movie is making sure there’s a close call in it. Additionally, it uses dramatic sound effects and a lot of action to keep you on edge and in a panicked condition. They often do shocking things and get into unexpected situations. More weird and unusual music sounds are used in the video itself. These types of movies frequently employ story twists to keep the viewer intrigued and thinking.

7. Lichen Wu Wu

The genre that I got in mind is a subgenre of horror which is paranormal. The elements, features and characteristics of the genre is creating tension and leave the people watching with anticipation that somethings coming at them. There’s also song/instrumental choices that creates an uneasy feeling towards the watcher and at the end of the music, it drops dead silent and a jumpscare appears. A specific film I’d say would be the conjuring universe, where the director creates paranormal activities and haunts a specific person due to their past or their interaction with the ghost. They also make the antagonist/ghost to be very ugly and creepy looking.

8. Ifetayo-Juni Forrest

Hyperpop is a subgenre of pop music just recently hitting the stage of mainstream. Hyperpop is characterized by dominantly electronica backing tracks, high pitched augmented vocals, chopping and screwing of sample tracks, experimental breakdowns, and unique mixing techniques. Some artists and groups that exemplify Hyperpop include CharlieXCX, 100 Gecs, Dorian Electra, and the late and great Sophie. Some of my personal favorites include d0llywood1 and Fraxiom. 100 Gecs made Hyperpop into household name, satisfying the zoomer desire for counter cultural energy in the era of mass produces ballads and pandemic induced Top 100s.

9. asarii<3

A genre that I know a lot about in music is R&B. R&B historically speaking come from “rhythm and blues”. the tone of it is more smoother, some of soft spoken with harmonies that blend perfectly, they have messages within them that listeners can relate to. Most R&B songs have base instruments such as piano, guitar, or drums that give it that smoother feel. One of my favorite songs currently “Feel” by Jacob Collier is a R&B songs. it has harmonies throughout the song. it uses drums, pianos, bass. I like it because it calms me down, makes me feel relaxed. the lyrics relate to me right now. Most r&b songs and artist that I know of and heard mostly talk about healing or relationships. I love r&b its all i listen to

10. Sam

I would say I know little bit about fantasy movie genre. The elements of fantasy genre are fantastical characters, magic, adventure, mythical beasts. The main feature I would say is magic because that’s what makes this genre different from other genres. And some characteristics are people in magical places, different worlds, animals with human characteristics. I think Marvel could be an example of fantasy genre. They have people with powers and different worlds or magical creatures.

11. andrew2005

An example of a genre within literature would be poetry. Poetry has its own style and rhythm, in which it can vary. People create poems to express how they feel and try to make the readers feel a specific way and understand their purpose of writing a poem. When we think of a poem, we mainly think about rhyme. We think that a lot of poems use rhyme to coney a purpose or theme. Rhyming within poetry is such an easy way to grab your attention because there’s a series of words that connect and creates a flow within poetry, which is super easy for the reader to connect to. I love poetry a lot and I have a book where I would write a free verse. A free verse poetry doesn’t follow a specific pattern. Poetry really varies now. There’s Haiku, sonnet, ode, epic and so on. So there are many forms of poetry.

12. Jaheim T

One of the genres that I thoroughly enjoy the most would have to be documentaries. A documentary is a genre to that shows the most potential when it comes to feeding my creativity, leading me to want to learn new things or explore a topic from a different perspective, especially when it comes to the historical or political category. This genre can be found within but not limited to: TV shows, literature, and movies.

There are many different aspects of any type of documentary. These aspects include but are not limited Topic, way of conveying information, the creators’ native or tone. One of the things that I would have to say would have the most impact when it comes to the beforementioned aspects would have to be subcategories. For example, the subcategory of historical documentaries would have a substantial lean towards a certain narrative of an issue or topic. An example topic would be an in-depth overview of a historical or political event from a biased or non biased view point, leaving events to be portrayed and researched in different ways. 

13. J. Carlos

Nu metal is a sub-genre of metal that combines elements of heavy metal and plenty other metal alternatives with elements of other music genres, for example: hard rock, hip-hop and heavy metal. These bands have drawn elements and influences from a variety of musical styles. A remarkable difference is the use of seven-string guitars, in order to produce a heavier sound. DJs are occasionally featured in nu metal to provide instrumentation accompanying stanzas with sampling — turntable scratching and electronic backgrounds. Vocal styles may vary from one band to another; however, keeping the structure in the song is typical of this genre. Nu metal is thought to be one of the key genres of the new wave of heavy metal in the twenty-first century and I consider an innovative.

With no doubt, the epitome of nu metal is the music by Linkin Park, which is my favorite band and one of the greatest of all time, the band was active until its vocalist Chester Bennington committed suicide in 2017. For more than a decade Linkin Park conquered the genre, paving the way for other innovative bands. Its unique style and rhythm has no rival and the significance of their lyrics is definitely my favorite characteristic.

14. Tyrell

SuperHero Genre: The superhero genre can be a combination of many genre like Action, Comedy, Mystery, Justice, Science fiction or even some elements of horror. This genre is meant to be interesting and is good at grabbing attention with how they have hero’s and villains who save and destroy their universe. Some characteristics of this genre are hero’s , powers, backstories and villains. An example of this genre is Batman who’s genre is action and justice. Batman however also brings the horror genre with how dark the villains are. An example of villains bring the dark side and horror element into batman is the Joker with the crimes he commits like mass murder.

15. kaylynn

A genre that I have great interest in is comedy. This includes but is not limited to entertainment that consist of jokes, intended to make an audience laugh. Some of the worlds greatest actors are comedians including Kevin Heart, Chris Tucker, Mike Epps, Tiffany Haddish, Jackie Chan, and many more. What’s so great about comedy is that they are all feel good films. Unlike romance and drama, comedy is meant to bring joy and light amongst the audience. It will always brighten up those who watch. Also comedy can also be an underlying genre which makes films more entertaining. For example, “Scary Movie” is the remake version of an horror film meant to be funny. Although the movie is horror, it makes you laugh. Another example is rush hour, this movie consists of action and comedy where you get suspense and a laugh all in once. Comedy is used in films, standup entertainment, and our day to day lives, which is safe to say, this genre is almost impossible to not relate to, you’re bound to get a laugh out.

16. Madison

One of the genes I throughly enjoy are Action Films. In fact, one of my favorite movie series is the Fast & Furious. I think the thrill and dramatic movements really intrigue me. Some common elements in action movies are “hero” also know as the protagonist. This character is fighting for a greater cause or for the better good of society. With this along comes the antagonist; who is the trouble maker. One common element is the repeated use of cinematography. Directors use this to make scenes bigger and appear more realistic. Green screens are used a lot to make the scenes more extravagant.

17. Yenny Jimenez

The genre that I’m most related to it is called k-Drama. K-Dramas are originally from South Korea and recently became very popular in the world. Mostly K-drama are about romantic stories but they can be also about history Science fiction and action. Personally i really love romantic stories with little of humor. Usually in this kind of stories there are two main characters and both of them get in love by different situations throughout the story. Always one of the characters is very shy while the other one can be  very problematic or wealthy.  Also something that characterizes K-Dramas are the values of the characters and the pressures of Korea society.