Faculty Name | Section | Semester

Education Paragraphs

Think of one specific incident that changed your views on education. Picture the scene, in detail.

Thinking about the slideshow on paragraphs, write at least two distinct paragraphs describing the incident that changed your views on education. Make sure your paragraphs have a clear, and singular, point, as well as utilizing elements of both information and explanation.

1. Ali Simmons

One incident that changed my view on things was when I got left back in a grade. It made me learned that not doing things when you are supposed to, it affects you later down the line. I was in first grade and I didn’t want to do my work and didn’t want to listen to my teachers. I would find anyway not to do homework. I would find any reason to be on the game all day.

Then when my grandmother got the news there was one thing that hurt me. It wasn’t the whooping I thought I would get when we got home. It was the look of disappointment and sadness on her face that gave me the realization. Since then I have done all my work and done my best to impress her. I have done my best to improve and be the man see wants me to be.

2. Megan

My personal views on education have changed through-out my life. Education to me was always an institution, a business if you will. We teach youths to be robots, follow orders, don’t ask ridiculous questions. I thought this was normal because that was almost my whole life until i became a teacher. Education to me is all about asking dumb questions and having a voice.

What changed my view on education was actually a song from Pink Floyd called The Wall. Students often become just another brick in the wall. Schools favor the honor roll over achieving students. The students that need them the most are the ones who push boundaries, slack off but we disregard them and label them as a problem. It takes nothing to become another brick in the wall. It takes a fight to become the building.

3. Nadeen

An incident that changed my views on education is constantly seeing homeless people on the streets. I’ve once seen a man holding up a sign saying he needs money for an education, and it had made me realize how important it is to have one, because you can get better paid jobs and know how to properly use that knowledge for the future. Something that went through my mind during that moment is that if I never started with an education, and god forbid if my family suddenly lost their money, I would also possibly be homeless too, this whole thing changed my perspective on the way I view the world.

Education is such a big deal during these times, because you cant accomplish what you want in the future without an education, or if you constantly just depend on people to support you and to provide you information or money. Education teaches us to be independent in this cruel world, it shapes you into the person you are.

4. Mallen12

I remember in high school I had an anime gaming club. They hosted a drawing contest for each season there were different genres. You would submit your drawing to the Google Classroom. I never won my drawing would always come in second or third place. the first top spot was always Digital art I was always like No fair I thought it was earlier to do art digitally till I did it myself I realized I was mistaken it was just as hard as transitional.

5. josephjin

School came easy to me. Whether it had been your average math class or a drawn out english class, education wasn’t anything to worry about. Education wasn’t my top priority, nor my main; And then the 2020 pandemic came around.

My math skills, gone. My attention span, gone. My care for my education went from a good 50 to none. And then it hit me. My 90’s had turned to 70’s, and my knowledge of whatever I had previous known had gone to naught. My quick thinking turned into me second, no, triple guessing myself, and I was lost. Nowadays I tend to take my education more seriously, well, atleast enough to know whats assigned to me atleast

6. Lichen Wu Wu

A specific incident that changed my views on education was when I moved from Chicago to New York and started highschool. It was during one of my classes where I was doing work and the teacher called on the same people because we knew the answers to the question. I noticed that it was usually between me and my friends because we did studies with each other. While in middle school, I have never done that and only fooled around. At first, being picked on agitated me but I soon realized that it was only us that were doing the work and put in effort to something.

As I kept seeing the same patterns in other classes, I decided to do an experiment where I would stop trying and see what was going to happen to the class. As my grades kept going down I was giving up but my friends who didn’t participate with me, they encouraged me to keep on going. Which brought me back alive. I owe them one.

7. asarii<3

people point of views in like change all the time. things happen everyday that will change you. Personally for me, it was break up. I have never experience anything like that before. And in my opinion, it happened for a reason, and im thankful it happened. It opened my eyes to a whole new world. surly I was devastated for a whilee, to this day to be exact. But after getting disappointed by this person repeatedly, instead of being sad or angry I used it as motivation. Things change all the time. It’s up to you to decide how u want it to effect you. I used this change as motivation towards my education, my business. It’s was up to me to use this as a lesson and learn from it. it helped me grow so much as a person.

8. Ifetayo-Juni Forrest

I lost my official status as a Gifted and Talented Kid when I was 13. My grades had suffered a lot in my 7th year because of a list of issues like puberty and an unsafe home, that and a nasty altercation I got into with another kid in my class cemented my demotion. It was really heart breaking as a kid who build their budding personhood on how much smarter I was than everyone around me, it was my armor and on that first day of 8th grade I felt fully stripped. I cried silently into my desk the entire morning so not to disturb the other students. This was the first click in a sequence of events that would reveal me on truth to myself. 

In that year I learned how much titles like Gifted and Talented were more of a burden than boon to a kid just starting to become a person. The walls became visible to me, in the lunch room, the yard, and even the hallways you could feel their bubble. For the first time I also heard how they were talked about in their absence, words crueler then dweeb and egghead ever could be. Even the friendships I had with those kids on my previous level seemed to strain with time. The paradox was that the material didn’t seem any different, gifted became just a word to mean Othered with no real signifier. At that point I started to see the fundamental lie of putting kids on a tier list when fundamentally all kids are pretty dumb.

9. Tyrell

A time where my views on education changed is after covid 19 hit and everyone was in quarantine. Which in the end made me a better student than I was before. At first throughout 9th grade, I focused and tried my best to keep my grades up. But after 10th grade I lost motivation to try in school and did not take the online classes seriously. I got addicted to gaming because I was in the house all the time and was bored. After a while I stopped paying attention in the online classes. I started either watching videos or playing games throughout the class. This caused my grades to drop significantly, and I started barely getting by. However, near the end of 10th grade my school brought back in person learning for 2-3 days a week. After my school brought back in person learning, I said I would do better and stop being so irresponsible and negligent towards my education. However, I did not do so, and I only focused on those on the days of in person and every other day I would slack off. Which kept me barely in the 80s. If not for the teachers giving me a lot of chances and letting me do makeup, I would not have passed that school year.  

In the summer before the 11th grade started, I noticed how I did not have a good average and thought about the future and how I wanted to go to college. I said I would not settle for an 80 average this time and I would break all my bad habits. So, I decided I would take classes much more seriously. After that my grades shot up, I started finding some classes more interesting and I got back the self-respect I needed. I put the education I took for granted to a higher standard and said I would try to be as educated as possible to make not only me but my family proud also. I still play games and procrastinate sometimes but I make my education my priority. 

10. kaylynn

One specific incident that changed my view on education was lying to my dad. While I was in the second grade my teachers had a point system called behavioral chart. There were colors ranging from red, being the worse behaved, to the green, the best behaved. My dad promised a wash n set to me, which is a wash and flat iron style done in the hair salon as long as I remained on green the rest of the week.

When my dad came to pick me up on Friday the end of the week, I was super down, my behavioral clip was on red which means I didn’t really earn the reward I was expecting. To avoid letting my father down and still having my way I took it upon myself to switch my name to green. My dad allowed me to get a wash n set and wouldn’t let me wear it anyway except in a ponytail. When I couldn’t understand why, he proceeded to tell me the teacher sent him a picture of my name already on red. This taught me integrity, and that nothing feels truly rewarding, if the work isn’t put into it.

11. Liubov N

During the summer of 2008, I was in my second or third year of college. After our finals, friends with similar ideas and views on life decided to go on a backpacking trip to the mountains. Whenever I think back to that trip, I can almost hear the meditative sound of the train we took.  I remember how hot it was in the cabin, and we couldn’t wait to reach our destination and the sweet scent of wildflowers and thyme in the air. The railway road wound around meadows and mountain rivers, and we eagerly stuck our hands and heads out the windows to catch this smell first, as if there might not be enough for everyone. Who we are? A bunch of slackers, bookworms, believers, cinephiles, hippies, and nerds. Students thirsty for life knowledge and adventure are looking for meaning and acceptance.  I felt happy feeling the wind in my, then, long hair. The only thing that was bothering me was my grades; I missed a lot of classes and failed a few courses. After the trip, I had to take a summer semester to catch up. And it was the last thing I wanted to do or think about. 

Sashko, my good friend, was reading an article. I was sitting across from him, sipping tea, thinking my heavy, unpleasant thoughts. He knew what was bothering me. Sashko said: “Hey, listen to it.” He looked at the page and read aloud: “You can expand your knowledge only when you look directly into the eyes of your ignorance.” He smiled and added: “You will see; you will be fine. Just take your time and think about it; you’ll know what to do and why to do so”. I did think then and still do. I graduated from university, and my bachelor’s paper was graded at the highest score in my class. And I apply this quote to education and other aspects of life. Whatever feels wrong or “unpleasant,” that’s where I go. To face and solve it, talk about it, and lift that “heavy mountain” off your shoulders.

12. J. Carlos

Something that changed my thoughts and views on education took place in high school. My science teacher was grading our final exams and projects, and most of the class failed the subject; however, he approved the whole class despite our poor results. He taught us that, for him, the grade was useless, but knowledge remains. He saw all the effort we put into his lessons, and he decided to pass everybody.

During the next year, the same teacher was assigned to our class; the grades now, without his “trust boost,” were higher, and the performance of the class improved significantly. From that situation, I learned that sometimes students just need an incentive to boost their academic performance and draw on their skills. Since then, I know that I must learn to be an excellent and outstanding professional rather than just get a high grade.

13. andrew2005

“What do you want to be?”. It is the most daunting question someone can ask anyone my age. One that confuses most, but is not nearly as perplexing as my answer.“I want to be like a car” would always be my response.

Ever since I was little boy, I always had a passion for cars. My love for cars started when I was about 7 years old, as majority of the toys that I owned were small toy cars. I started collecting more of these toy cars and placed each one on my desk, lining them up near each other. By the age of fourteen, I had a collection of various types of toy cars. At the time, I was amused by the way they look, such as the bright beautiful colors that they come in, the shapes, sizes and so on. I was captivated at how these model cars were a miniature representation of an automobile. My favorite toy car that I owned was a ford mustang. I loved everything about this car, from the the headlights to the beautiful two white racing stripes that run across the center of the car, to the logo of the car. As I got older, I became curious about the design and art of cars. In other words, I grew a passion for engineering. Although I had a passion for engineering, I was always told I wouldn’t make it far in this field because I wasn’t “smart enough”. My parents told me this growing up, as they always questioned me when it came to my career field. Because I was questioned so much about something that I have a lot passion for, I started to question myself, wondering am I smart enough?, can I make it far if I pursue a career in engineering?. I had a lot of self-doubt, but this all changed on September 16, 2022. 

14. Adil

I believe seeing how other children learn and how I was taught in both Africa and the U.S. helped give me a new understanding of education. As in Ghana, you get pushed by your teachers and they can seem to be very tough on you as they want to teach you the same way. This gave me a new understanding as American teaching is very different and they can push you but they are sneaky too and they seem to care more about the differences in how to teach kids.

15. Yenny Jimenez

When I was in middle school I used to think that education wasn’t important because my school was a place in which most of the students went to exhibit their phones and clothes.  Also, there was a lack of professionals in my province and as a consequence most of the teachers were given classes that they weren’t supposed to. At  that moment, education was dramatically affected.

Some time later, when I went to high school my view about education changed because I realized how important and powerful it was to be educated. So I decided to work on preparing myself throughout my education. But, something happened and I got the opportunity to come to the United States, but unfortunately 3 months after my arrival  the pandemic started and my education was affected again.