Our Favorite research Tool: Search Engines

Especially within the past few years search engines have become more popular than ever.  Take Google and Bing for instance.  With data taken from Andrew Leibman’s article “How Search Engines Work,” We learn of the many different kinds of computer searching tools.  First, lets talk about web crawlers.  Web crawlers are “single-purpose applications that fetch data from the Web.”  They scan the Web searching for hyperlinks and categorize them to look for the best results.  Since speed is crucial, web crawlers begin by searching the most popular Web pages first.  It’s a very complicated process, because the computer has to go through any steps and with so little time.  The computer must now break the data from the hyperlinks by encoding (“converting data from ine form to another”) and hashing (“converting words and characters into abbreviated alphnumeric value”).  with one word, we can find hundreds of thousands of results, but with the help of web crawlers, encoding and hashing, we can break information down to its simplest form and get the best reslut of information that we want.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Our Favorite research Tool: Search Engines

1. cj says:

I actually agree with you because at the time when i was in high school i never understood what a search engine was or even heard about. But now i have a better understanding of what it is, i always depend on Google and sometimes Yahoo to look up information on things and wondered if i was looking things up correctly because of all the links Google or Yahoo where given me. I strongly believe that Web Crawler can give everybody better results when it comes down to searching for things to get the best information that we want and can find more easily when it comes down to researching important information.

2. Michael.M says:

I too agree with what you say when you mention how the internet is now being broken down into such the simplest of forms when searchig for information. I myself type in the few keywords that will help pin point exactly what im looking for and occasionally type out whole sentences. Many othwr websites besides search engines such as twitter and facebook are the ones that use the hashtag to make a “trending topic” for everyone to talk about; thus making the internet a great place to connect with people similar to you.