March 24

SKIMS (shapewear) 2019 
The first name for Kim Skardashian West’s shape wear collection was KIMONO, after she tried to trademark word “Kimono” she was criticized by the internet and official letter from the mayor go Kyoto she decided to change it to SKIMS. 
SKIMS was a big success, and I think big part of it is that the campaign was targeting diverse group of people – inclusive sizing and diverse shades of the product.

Vogue U.S.  Cover (August 2019)
Ariana Grande was accused of blackface.
I think she is tanning her skin to appeal to more diverse group of people.
Also, since editors of the Vogue magazine approved the image I think they are on the same page with Ariana Grande. 

Naomi Campbell Photography by Peter Lindbergh for Harper’s Bazaar Magazine US – December 1992
Even though this  is not recent, after talking with some of my friends I realized that a lot of people even in 2020 don’t understand how wrong this photoshoot is.

Naomi Campbell photographed as a painting of a French artist Paul Gauguin.
Primitivism for Gauguin was way to escape “civilized” people (Europeans like him) and go back to primitive way of leaving. He didn’t respect Tahitian people or their culture. He thought of them as primitive people.
So when a Fashion magazine use a black model to recreate this painting, I think it is wrong.