Blog Group 2 Clue

Oh, my husband! my husband, indeed I would have spared you such a thought had there been another way; but I pray that God may not have treasured your wild words, except as the heart-broken wail of a very loving and sorely stricken man. Oh, God, let these poor white hairs go in evidence of what he has suffered, who all his life has done no wrong, and on whom so many sorrows have come.”

In this scene Mina pleads to God to forgive Johnathan for the manner in which he curses against Dracula and his hopes to bring him death. She hopes that his words are not taken by God figuratively but as the words of a man who has seen evil and felt pain for his wife. Johnathan has been a saint and if wasn’t for the ill doing of Dracula he would never speak in such a manner. She wants him to understand that even when he destroyed old Lucy, he killed a corrupt creature only release “purity” of new Lucy into a better place(heaven).  He might even have to bring the same faith to her, but he must do it with compassion and not hate.  So that he might be able to be called upon by God on Judgement Day and she can be released as “new Mina”. In spite of Dracula’s possession of Mina she continues to shows mercy towards him in that good will ultimately over come evil even after having witnessed the end result of Lucy, truly a woman of faith.

2 thoughts on “Blog Group 2 Clue”

1. I agree Johnathan has been a more calm and collected character, however as we progress into the novel we see his character change into this more violet vengeful person. I believe with everything he’s been through when he was in Transylvania in Dracula’s castle he finally had to let it all out. We also see him talking about God more and more.

2. I agree that Mina continues to show mercy to Dracula even after all the things he has done. When Mina was influenced by Dracula’s powers, she might’ve been able to experience what Dracula feels. After all, you can’t truly judge someone until you’ve walked in their shoes. Other than influence, maybe Mina is naturally merciful.