Critical Response: Connect

Lucy’s death bed condition in Seward’s diary dated September 7.

“I was shocked when I saw her yesterday, I was horrified when I saw her to-day. She was ghastly, chalkily pale; the red seemed to have gone even from her lips and gums, and the bones of her face stood out prominently; her breathing was painful to see or hear,”

I think this is a good definition of Lucy’s condition in a decaying state, wherein Seward uses a variety of descriptive words to tell Lucy’s condition. “chalkily pale, and spiritual pathology” seems she resemble a ghost(corpse) or a vampire; because vampire are of pale color and are soul seekers of blood.

The blood seemed to have gone from her lips and gums is a clear definition of what Felluga Kristevan, defines the word “abject” as a breakdown  caused by the loss of the distinction between subject and object or between self and other..

Seward described It is something like the way Dame Nature gathers round a foreign body an envelope of some insensitive tissue which can protect from evil that which it would otherwise harm by contact. this is a form of communicable disease.

I like the first person narration as it gives a meaningful descriptive words that are sad and depressing and also terrifying., which is anticipating the outcome.

Earlier Dates before September 7th, Lucy was getting better but then a sudden change for the worse days later. Lucy  was at her mother’s house instead of a hospital or hospice. But instead Seward who is in love with her decides to consult Van Helsing whom he thinks is “The Great Specialist.”

2 thoughts on “Critical Response: Connect”

1. Hello,

The line where Lucy loses the color of her lips and gums is a perfect example of abjection. At the very moment, Lucy become less distinguishable and begins to lose distinction between living self and death itself. Lucy dying on her death bed was a saddening portionin the text but that section in particularly clearly depicts Felluga’s “abjection”.

2. I agree, the descriptions of Lucy resemble those of a vampire. She is dying without a doubt, very unfortunate. The mention of her lips and gums defines very well, the breakdown caused by the loss of the distinction between subject and object or between self and other.