Fareena Group 3 CONNECT:

During the whole of a dull, dark, and soundless day in the autumn of the year, when the clouds hung oppressively low in the heavens….. I know not how it was but, with the first glimpse of the building, a sense of insufferable gloom pervaded my spirit. I say insufferable; …. I looked upon the scene before me—upon the mere house, and the simple landscape features of the domain—upon the bleak walls—upon the vacant eye-like windows”.

As the author of “The Fall of the House of Usher” started this literature by painting the setting in our mind as we read. The opening was very dark, dull and filled with nothing but something all at once. Then went on by saying the first glimpse of the building was very distasteful rather extremely unpleasant. The house is gloomy and filled with unimaginable and unexplainable mystery. I interpreted this piece of literature, as the author is using the description of the house as a metaphor for America. He describes the house as a simple landscape.. bleak walls.. and the vacant eye like windows. One aspect of America the narrator could be referring to is American politics. In essence, autumn days are filled with bright colored leaves and a bright sky; however it was written as a dull and dark day. This could be relating to the corrupting president candidate that we currently have in office and the fact that he has us in pure darkness as a nation. Afraid to go outside for we as people of the United States should be deported. He then went on by saying first sight of the building a sense of insufferable gloom pervaded his spirits. I thought about the White House and all that Trump is doing to bring our country down. Hearing the word America, is not what it once was. The narrator touched on the vacant eye-like windows, for this could be the metaphor of the madness that is currently taken place in our country. For our president is not thinking of his people, he is thinking of solely all the wrong topics and is causing him to have a vacant eye on all the topics he should be focusing on. 

3 thoughts on “Fareena Group 3 CONNECT:”

1. I agree, the opening is very dark and dull. The setting seems very descriptive. It looks like aspects have a lot of influence on the story. I like your use of a real life comparison to something in the story.

2. I do agree to the connection but also I think the author was really connecting to the past war between America and England. When the author uses such terms to describe the house “dull”, “dark”, we know during the war everything was dull and dark. There was no sign of light as it was a big thing. This also lead to the abandonment of the houses leaving them behind. Most people couldn’t make it back and so that can also be the reason the author used such terms.

3. While I can see where you are coming from in your comparison, I don’t really know if it is fair to say that the author was thinking about the politics of the country three centuries after he wrote the story. However, he could be referring to the politics between America and Britain after the war of 1812.