Connect- Blog Post 2 Afeisha Parris

When shelly writes How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavoured to form? His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips.

In the “uncanny” Freud suggests the idea of arousing horror and fear yet familiarizing all aspects of the known. When presented with the familiar we should not show fear. In other words experiences, faces, places or things  we’ve seen before will likely draw minimal reaction or emotions because they are  known to us. This monster Frankenstein had created bore familiar features of a human but still presented a contributing horror. The projection of self has been overcome by fear. There’s unfounding horror is the human like features of the creature vs the unknown. Frankenstein is a scientist, a logical thinker he knows the structure and make up of human body. Yet the monster Frankenstein created looked like him but still wasn’t him and that frightened him, this projection of self had been overcome by fear. Such facial and structural details was so overwhelming he began to question himself as to the actual creature he had created. This must be a fragment of his imagination. Obviously Frankenstein knows what he’s created  he will soon come to the realization of his creation.