Smorgasburg Reaction Blog – Debie Mendoza

Smorgasburg “Brooklyn Flea market” is a group of purveyors that introduces culinary tourism in Brooklyn. They are open at Williamsburg by the seaport on Saturday and at Prospect Park on Sunday. They offer variety of different cuisines from different countries, which is why they attract many people including tourist and locals. The class assignment was to visit the place, eat a food, and criticize it in detail.

On Sunday, October 9, I went to Smorgasburg at Prospect Park. The weather was horrible it was breezy, very cold and drizzling. The only two branches open are the Ramen burger and the Maria’s authentic taco. The rest of the purveyors was packing and leaving the place because of the stormy weather. Thus, with shortage of option I tried the regular portion of ramen burger, pretty small for 10 bucks. I thought that the ramen would be a little crispier since it is put on the hamburger fryer, but it was not. However, there was a purpose as to why it is served like that. It is for the customers to eat the burger without making a mess since the ramen is sticking together. The smell of the Japanese sauce left a strong fishy smell in my hands, making me wonder whether they put oil or powder of fish in the sauce.

On Saturday, October 15, I went to Williamsburg to recover my experience. I tried the Korean Bulgogi from “C Bao”, Mango lassi from “Dosa Royale”, and Bisska Corn from “Bisska NYC.” I was very disappointed with the korean bulgogi and I will never try it again. The korean beef was not cut properly, it was put in a bun as a cluster of uncut beef. The white onions with the beef were cut in big chunks which would cause a person to choke. I then lose my appetite and throw half of the food. I drank the mango lassi to make me feel better however, it made my throat dry that I started coughing and needed a water. After a while, I tried the Bisska corn and it would have been good if the corn was served a little bit hard. I also saw many people from the “Wow Fulls”, which makes me want to try the egg waffles, but the line is very long, about 20-30 people. One of the food from a purveyors was very surprising. It is fried anchovies in a small cup that is served as a snack which is not common in a market such as that.

Overall, the food at Smorgasburg food market did not leave a great impression on me however, I fell in love with the neighborhood. With it’s graffiti, vintage, antique, jewelry and the street market.  

One thought on “Smorgasburg Reaction Blog – Debie Mendoza

1. Michael Krondl

Well, I guess there was some silver lining. That said, I enjoyed your description of how you didn’t like the food. I’m left curious though, how many stands were there at the second Smorgasburg? Who was there? Also keep in mind your reader might not know what a bulgogi or a lassi is.