Smorgasburg Reaction Blog- Tiffany Lau

On September 25th, I went to the Brooklyn Smorgasburg with my older sister. The location where it held was huge. We saw many different foods made from different cultures. I went to the booth called Jianbing Company, that made Shanghai inspired food. They cultivated foods using Shanghai styled. I ordered one menu choices called “The Original.” The Original was made by wrapping ingredients in a crunchy, cracker-like wrap. It was neither oily nor dry, but was smooth to touch. The ingredients they used to make it included eggs, crackers, 13 sauce, scallions, cilantro, homemade chili sauce, and hoisin-lime beef. What tempt me to try The Original was the price and the ingredients. The price is less expensive than other choices. Another reason is because of the cilantro that I had never tried it before.

I didn’t try other choices in the Jianbing booth because the order that I chose was a large portion and even though it was cut in half, I had a difficult time finishing it. The price was $12. The line for the order was average because the customer’s order takes approximately five minutes to cook and serve it. The portion size was 2 servings. The most unusual food that Jianbing offer and the next most tempting food ingredients is the Good Morning Smorgasburg food. The ingredients that were used to make it were similar to the Originals. However, the ingredients they used that was unique is the applewood-smoked bacon. The price was $14, which was extremely expensive. I didn’t have any complaints, so I would’ve tried anything they offered.

The kinds of customers that I saw had a big appetite for the Originals they ordered.  They’re mostly middle-aged Caucasians. They asked for different proteins like Lemon-Garlic Chicken or Honey-Soy Tofu. There were four people handling the food. Each person was responsible for one job, either serving the drinks, setting up the plates, preparing the food, and also serving the food. The food came quickly, so this was an efficient process. It was different from other vendors because they had ingredients right on the menu along with the price. They have one person to listen to the customer’s order and make it right away. Other vendors also had less people working there. The equipment that they used was a griddle to make a wrapping for stuffing the ingredients inside. It became a delicious package to be eaten without being messy.

One thought on “Smorgasburg Reaction Blog- Tiffany Lau

1. Michael Krondl

Lot of interesting stuff here about jianbing. Think about the reader though. What’s the first thing s/he needs to know? And the second? And I’m curious to know what else was being sold. When you say huge what exactly do you mean? What was your overall impression once you had visited?