Mary Beth Kilkelly | COMD 3504-OL01 (8505)| Summer 2024

Enduring Legacy of the Black Power Movement (Jamil)

Panthers Free Huey Rally (1968) anothermag.com
“All Power to the People.” (1969) by Emory Douglas
Fred Hampton Poster by Emory Douglas (1969)
Poster For the Movie “Black Panther” (2018)

Today, I did some in depth reflection on the impact that the Black Power movement of the late 60’s and early 70’s has had on society at large, but more specifically, pop culture. Growing up in Oakland, CA, these symbols were replete throughout my life’s experience being that Oakland was ground zero for the Black Panther Party. Although much of this was well before my time, The Black Panthers served as an early influence, shaping my ideas as well as my style and demeanor. The Panthers will always be remembered for their powerful visual symbols. The iconic raised fist, huge afros, and a red, black & green color palette all played a role in conveying messages of Black Power, strength and unity.

At that time, artists like Emory Douglas created striking posters that are still relevant in graphic design today. He used bold typography, vibrant colors, and strong lines to inspire the community to mobilize and organize against oppression. Fashion was another thing that played a crucial role. The natural hairstyles and African styled attire became symbols of cultural pride and made a visual political statement.

The Black Panther Party’s legacy continues to have an impact on pop culture today. In music, Afrofuturism directly draws from the Black Power movement. And this influence persists in contemporary media; most notably in films like “Black Panther,” which celebrates African culture and incorporates Afrofuturism.

1. MB Kilkelly

Thanks for this post. The Emory Douglas art shared here is on the front page of a community newspaper. What are ways graphic designers can help support and shape community “news” and information to help shape our culture and improve society?