Photo of Gil Scott-Heron
Photo of Gil Scott-Heron
The Revolution will not be televised by “TheFineArtRevolution” (Etsy)

I can remember back in high school, I had a mentor who exposed me to all kinds of great things that I wouldn’t have been had I not met him. But of all those things, Gil Scott-Heron’s spoken word poetry was one of them. The first time I heard “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised,” I knew It would have a significant impact on me for the rest of my life. Not just on my ideas and core values, but on my practice as an artist and graphic designer as well. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised speaks to the limitations and biases of the mainstream media. This resonates with me and my own experiences in a way that influences my approach to art and design. I understand now that art and design can be utilized as tools for social change rather than just a means to make things look aesthetically pleasing.

This piece pushed me to think critically about what I want my work to represent. It taught me that while of course you want to make things look and sound good, you also want to make sure they convey meaningful messages that are in solidarity with marginalized people and communities. Art and design are powerful tools and I think artists and designers have a responsibility to use those tools to uplift and inspire. That’s what Gil Scott-Heron’s spoken word has done for me.