Ethical Assignment_ Entry#2

2A

In the past, I have used another’s creative work mostly to deliver homework that does not require making original designs. In terms of giving credit to the original creators, I always leave a note under the homework I submitted specifying where I acquired the design from. I understand how important to leave credits to the original designers for their hard work because I am the type of person who strives to come up with original designs without having to refer to other people’s works. I would probably be upset if other people directly used my designs and claim it’s theirs.

Unsplash. “Beautiful Free Images & Pictures.” Unsplash, unsplash.com/.

2B

The outcome of Mr. Fairey’s case is and isn’t surprising at the same time. It was surprising because he was faced up to six months in prison for falsely claiming the ownership of a photograph from a particular Associated Press. I did not know you could go to prison for copyright infringement. However, it wasn’t surprising because infringing copyrighted content is a big deal, especially in the United States. He probably would have gotten a less severe sentence if he just admitted it at the beginning instead of trying to cover it up until the end. Like the article mentioned, hopefully, everyone who read Mr. Fairey’s case would be reminded how important it is to produce original content.

Kennedy, Randy. “Shepard Fairey Is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in ‘Hope’ Poster Case.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 7 Sept. 2012, artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/shephard-fairey-is-fined-and-sentenced-to-probation-in-hope-poster-case/.

https://unsplash.com/photos/y6HpQzW87Vc