The Importance Of Eating Healthier

The topic for my unit 3 major assignment is the importance of eating healthier. In this day and age all I see are people eating a lot of junk food and not taking care of their bodies. For my first audience I chose a speech college students like myself because even though we aren’t kids anymore, we are still eating a ton of junk food and this is a problem. My second audience is the (FDA) Food And Drug Administration because they regulate all foods and I would like to send them a letter to their headquarters in White Oak to tell them about how harmful junk food is to the body and why it needs to be banned. I chose the genre of a speech to college students so they can listen to the issue of eating unhealthy, if they are emailed this issue they most likely won’t open the email. I chose the genre of a letter to the FDA because that’s the best way other than an email to get the FDA to be informed about your issue.

College Students needs to eat healthier 

[Good Morning to you all, my name is Joshua Elcock and the title of my speech is “College Students Needs to Eat Healthier”]

1. Introduction 
  1. According to npr.org, “A third of U.S. adults are obese, and 80 percent don’t eat enough fruits, veggie, and whole grains.” 
  1. The purpose of this speech is to convince all of you that you can learn to eat healthier, and why it’s important to do so. 
  2. To prove that you can and you should eat healthier, I will be using research results and sources such as, npr.org, health direct, the food guide pyramid on health.gov and nhs.uk.
  3. In this speech, I will talk about why people eat unhealthily and the type of unhealthy food they consume and solutions to eat healthier.

1. Body 
  1. There is a problem among us. We are all in college and we’re adults now, so that means we should be more responsible and start to take care of our bodies. However, that isn’t the case, most of us don’t watch what we eat, and consume junk food, order takeout, eat sweets, candy, fatty foods, sugary drinks, pizzas, ice-cream, candy bars, etc. 
  1. Eating so much unhealthy foods can lead to obesity.  
  1. According to “Health Direct”, In most people obesity is caused by eating too much, if you consume high amounts of energy but don’t burn it off via exercise, the stored energy will turn into fat.   
  2. According to “Health Direct”, the energy value of food is measured in kilojoules and to maintain a healthy weight, it’s important to balance how many kilojoules you take in with how many you burn off by exercising. 
  1. The best way to make sure your body is healthy is to lower your intake of unhealthy foods and to eat the number of servings of foods presented on the Food and Drug Administration food guide pyramid. 
  1. According to the food guide pyramid on health.gov, there are a number of calories needed to consume daily by different age groups. “children ages 2 to 6 years, women, some older adults (about 1,600 calories)”, “older children, teen girls, active women, most men (about 2,200 calories)”, “teen boys, active men (about 2,800 calories).”    
  2. According to the food guide pyramid, you should consume (6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice, and pasta group), (3-5 servings of the vegetable group), (2-4 servings of the fruit group), (2-3 servings of milk, yogurt, and cheese group), (2-3 servings of meat, poultry, fish, dry beans, eggs, and nuts group), and fats, oils, and sweets should be used sparingly. 
  3. According to “nhs.uk”, some tips for eating healthier is to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, eat more fish that includes a portion of oily fish, cut down on saturated fat and sugar, eat less salt and no more than 6 gram a day for adults, get active and start exercising, drink lots of water to stay hydrated, and do not skip breakfast. 

1. Conclusion 
  1. There is a problem among us, that problem is that we don’t take care of our bodies and eat food that we know is bad for our health but do so anyway simply because it tastes good. This consumption of unhealthy food leads to one of the problems in America which is obesity. 
  1. In this speech, I introduced you to a few solutions to be healthier. Some are to cut down on saturated fat and sugar, start exercising, drink lots of water, and don’t skip breakfast. However, the best would be to eat the number of servings of foods presented on the food guide pyramid.
  1. To conclude, I’d like you all to think about your health and put this advice into action. That is all, thank you for your time. 

Dear Food And Drug Administration:

I am living in New York where the price of vegetables, healthy food costs more than junk food. Every store I go to I see chips, cakes, ice cream, chocolate, french fries, pizzas, churro, cookies, and sodas costing no more than a dollar or at least a little above. Meanwhile vegetables costs way more  Then there’s also the dollar menu at McDonald. This is bad because not a lot of people, like children for example carry around a lot of money, so if they’re hungry they’re forced to buy junk food. For most people in NY, we don’t have a lot of money and sometimes only carry a dollar in our pocket and if we’re hungry we’re forced to buy chips, two of the fifty cents honey buns, or the dollar pizza at the corner store. This consumption of unhealthy foods leads to one of the problems in America which is obesity. Junk food has way more calories than fruits and vegetables and since they’re cheaper, we consume them more. Those calories turn into energy and as the energy builds up, it gets harder for your body to fully burn off those calories turning it into fat. Everywhere I go, the trains, buses, movies, parks, restaurants, all I see is people who are eating junk food, and some themselves are either big or obese and they are still eating junk food. Now this isn’t their fault, in NY their aren’t a lot of high paying jobs for everyone and you can’t really get money to buy healthy foods like maybe a salad because its expensive. So the only option left when you’re hungry with little money in your pocket, is to go to the store and buy junk food to fill you up. I myself do this. Every week my mom makes salad for me, herself, and my sister, but since there’s three of us, its finished fast and my mom doesn’t cook that much because she’s so tired after work. Me or my sister doesn’t know how to cook but we always have at least a dollar in our pockets so we buy junk food and soda to drink. I don’t want these harmful junk food in my body, I want to be able to afford to buy fruits and vegetables and the same for my fellow New Yorkers. The FDA jobs is to regulate food and not allow foods to be produced and sold if they are harmful to human beings. The purpose of this letter is to tell you that they are indeed harmful to our health. I am asking you to ban junk if not worldwide, but in New York so that the prices of fruits and vegetables can go down.

Sincerely Joshua Elcock

Bibliography:

75 Percent Of Americans Say They Eat Healthy – Despite Evidence To The Contrary

Allison Aubrey-Maria Godoy – https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/03/487640479/75-percent-of-americans-say-they-eat-healthy-despite-evidence-to-the-contrary

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2000/document/build.htm

What Causes Obesity?

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/what-causes-obesity

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/eight-tips-for-healthy-eating/​

Junk Food Costs Less Than Fruits and Vegetables: Are We Surprised?

Ed Levine – https://www.seriouseats.com/2007/12/junk-food-costs-less-than-fruits-and-vegetabl.html

Human Foods Overview For Imported Products

Office of Regulatory Affairs – https://www.fda.gov/industry/regulated-products/human-foods